metal detectors???

hardyferret

Being an archaeologist and a believer in the use of metal detectors- I have 2, I could advise you! First you need to decide on how much you want to spend on the machine. Ive got a lightweight good one that cost me about £200ish a couple of years ago, and an all dancing and singing one which cost £1200ish. I dont get much time to play with them having a family and a business to run but the rewards are great. Not in a monetary sense though, but finding a little piece of history someone has lost. Its an obssesive hobby, bit like MVs! Go out and get a copy of one or both magazines- The Searcher and Treasure Hunter, have a look at them and look at the sort of prices you can afford, Im guessing a reasonable one will cost you at least £300ish. Stay in touch! 8-)

Hi all,

Can anyone advise on what is a good buy?? as I am well confused by the choice!!!

in a pickle :|

Hardyferret :-D :-D

I started in 1956 with a Mine Detector No.3 (Polish) going on the beach looking for money that the grockles had left. It was rather heavy for a small boy to carry but good fun. Bought it in a scrapyard for 2/-. no valves in it I found out that ARP12s from a No.38 Set fitted & it worked!

Jerry, so what are you looking for? Ordnance in the garden?

Told the old man about this last night and he recounted one of his VERY rare tales of the war - seems his lot were moving through an area and the map showed German mines so they called up two guys from the R.E's with a mine detector and ever-present white tape. Ten very slow minutes the R.E.s returned having marked a lane through the minefield and just as Dads lot were about to start off the block carrying the tape turned to the one with the detector set on and asked if he knew the headset was disconnected.

According to dad it cured the detectors guys constipation almost immediately!! :-)

Told the old man about this last night and he recounted one of his VERY rare tales of the war - seems his lot were moving through an area and the map showed German mines so they called up two guys from the R.E's with a mine detector and ever-present white tape. Ten very slow minutes the R.E.s returned having marked a lane through the minefield and just as Dads lot were about to start off the block carrying the tape turned to the one with the detector set on and asked if he knew the headset was disconnected.

According to dad it cured the detectors guys constipation almost immediately!! :-)

well taht's a big OOPS!!!

• 6 years later...

what type of detecting do ya want to do EG gold, park hunting, the beach or a little bit of everything.

for $1000 I'd go for the minelab x-Terra 70 you could pick a used one up with extra coils for about that, there great in the parks for relics & coins, do allright in the gold fields & are great in the dry sand at the salt beaches though they don't like the wet sand to much.

another one to look at is the minelab sovereign there great in the parks & goes a little deeper than the 70, they excel at the beach both wet & dry sand, i"m not to sure how good they are on the gold fields though.

both of these metal gold detector can be bought for around $1000 second hand from good detecting stores.

lazyaussie