Trimmed Parachute Wings Badge

Enfield1940

Hi,

I'm planning to replace some missing para wings on a recently acquired 1977 type Para Smock. I've bought a couple of potential badges and I attach a pic. The lower one is allegedly Falklands era, whereas I don't know how old the upper more faded one is. As you can see the lower one has had the edge trimmed and this has also been done on the wings on another 1977 type Para Smock I have.

So... was it normal practice to trim the edges of para wings to be stitched to Para Smocks circa the early 1980's? I think the more faded one would look better on the smock, but would it be more authentic to trim it smaller first?

Thanks,

Mark

Para Wings.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep nice to trim the wings, but on the end of the wrong inspecting officer could earn a week on the 120mm shell polishing it and carrying it round Browning barracks lol - character building, just like a good beasting. But unfortunately with the Royal Corps of Social Worker we now have you can't even raise your voice in case the recipient faints or feels threatened hehe

Yep nice to trim the wings, but on the end of the wrong inspecting officer could earn a week on the 120mm shell polishing it and carrying it round Browning barracks lol - character building, just like a good beasting. But unfortunately with the Royal Corps of Social Worker we now have you can't even raise your voice in case the recipient faints or feels threatened hehe

The Royal Navy had a steel dustbin for similar purposes. To be polished outside, and inside! :cry: