Royal marine lightweight history

Spangler1

Hi,

i am looking for some help researching the history of my landrover lightweight series 3.

I have sent off for its vehicle history card. It was in service from '81 to '92 with 3 commando brigade, HQ and signals squadron. It was marked as winterised and also shows signs of being waterproofed, though I'm no expert. But that's it! All it says is 3CDO for all those years, no information on theatres it served in, if any. I'm jealous of you guys who know where your vehicles went and what they did. If my card is blank does it mean my vehicle stayed in the UK all it's life? If so then why winterise it? Or is it because its history was top secret and cannot be disclosed lol.

like a lot of you I dream that my vehicle went to the Falklands but I hold few illusions about that, it would just be interesting to know more about him.

so other than the vehicle history card I'd there anywhere else I can look?

thanks in advance guys.

1981 , will NOT have a tri-service VRM , what is the registration mark ? probably ??HH?? ??RM?? ??RN??

Apparently the RM Museum has a limited number of photographs & you can make arrangements with the Curator to Search , somewhere I have a note of the box filing No. - as yet to pay a visit - self.

All you can do is watch out for RM L'wt photographs for your registration.

You may find one of it wading ashore at Arbroath or somewhere in Norway.

HI

Triservice is what it suggests the three services Army Navy Air force to make it easy for you the air force used the letter A

in the middle of the REG number like OO AM OO the navy RN the army letters from BC TO KF and so on the examples i have give are not Light weight numbers it only to show you how the system worked we had ROYAL MARINES at Leconfield

who used landrovers with both RN AND ARMY REG NUMBERS just out of interest as far as I am aware the letters RM was not used unless some one knows differant

REGARDS WALLY

HI

Triservice is what it suggests the three services Army Navy Air force to make it easy for you the air force used the letter A

in the middle of the REG number like OO AM OO the navy RN the army letters from BC TO KF and so on the examples i have give are not Light weight numbers it only to show you how the system worked we had ROYAL MARINES at Leconfield

who used landrovers with both RN AND ARMY REG NUMBERS just out of interest as far as I am aware the letters RM was not used unless some one knows differant

REGARDS WALLY

========================

Yes, you are correct RM was not used , seems strange not to use it - I thought I had seen a RM in Bob Morrisons picture book "British Land Rovers in the Gulf" Op. Granby, it is CHOSC (Commando Helicopter Operations and Support Cell) - in "sand and pink tigerstripe" - but it is in fact RN..

The RAF did have some winterized Lightweights , they seemed all hard-tops , some had the heat exchanger in the rear tub - probably the RAF way of avoiding putting FFR starting batteries into fabricated spl. boxes in rear corner of tub. The RAF winterized L'wt were probably also helicopter support (but not seen one with the external reeler hardtop) . I don't think the RAF had winterized on the last of line KD L'wt that was 24 volt but not FFR.

ISTR the Army had some winterized L'wts - possibly they were Tri-service that had been re-alocated ??

Edited by ruxy
amd.