Ferret Bevel box Oil seals

• 4 months later...
The Cork oil seal was replaced on the nearside rear bevel box and it still leaks, I am toying with the idea of using two O rings - has anyone got any thoughts on this? or should I replace it with a new cork seal and stick to the original design?

Diana

How about using a gasket sealer.....In the States we use Permatex on most cork gaskets...Hope this helps....

cheers joe might try the stuff u recommend

I better clarify as the cork gaskets I used to work on years ago we used the Permatex..It comes in different grades now like for a water pump...I remember the big secret of success in using it was to put it on the cork gasket and let it cure a minimum of 45 minutes before clamping together.....Diana & Jacki are great mechanics IMO and I have never worked on the bevel boxes....I am only going off information that worked for me on other projects....Permatex has been out for about 40 years now....Cork gaskets are old school and maybe Diana & Jackie can add some information as they experiment with better modern age O-rings and such....I certainly highly value their posts and opinions....Hope this helps some one....

One cannot use any form of jointing compound as the bevel box outer slides in and out of its housing ever such a small amount. Jointing compound will stop that happening.

3mm O ring cord cut to length and joined using superglue to make an oo ring works a treat, use two side by side. Plenty of lubricant when the outer is slid into the inner will help stop damage to the o rings.

I better clarify as the cork gaskets I used to work on years ago we used the Permatex..It comes in different grades now like for a water pump...I remember the big secret of success in using it was to put it on the cork gasket and let it cure a minimum of 45 minutes before clamping together.....Diana & Jacki are great mechanics IMO and I have never worked on the bevel boxes....I am only going off information that worked for me on other projects....Permatex has been out for about 40 years now....Cork gaskets are old school and maybe Diana & Jackie can add some information as they experiment with better modern age O-rings and such....I certainly highly value their posts and opinions....Hope this helps some one....

my vehicle had a mod at some time where a two lip oil seal was installed. Not the best solution I fear. I've resorted to semifluid grease which I''ve had in for one summer season so far. Travelled 4 hours straight at 45mph and the hubs do get a little hotter but no leaks. (heat is due to fluid viscosity, not lack of lubrication.)