Wanted - VCR353 Installation Parts

arnie

Hi All

Any help in acquiring the following items would be gratefully appreciated.

1 X ARFAT

1 X TUAAM

Mounting bracket for TUAAM

Clansman Mounting Bars

Cable connecting ARFAT & TUAAM - 7 way interconnecting cable

Other cables I think we need for connecting the pieces - I might be wrong - any advice/help gratefully appreciated Emoji_1F60A.png!!

353 to ARFAT - 12 way interconnecting cable

353 to ARFAT - Coax cable

ARFAT TO TUAAM - Coax cable

Antenna Base to TUAAM - Coax cable

Many Thanks

Arnie

What are you installing it in?

TThere are a choice of mounting bars.

This is one type. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLANSMAN-MILITARY-ARMY-RADIO-MOUNTING-BRACKET-PRC-353-AND-321-/330927135253?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4d0ccb5a15

Also can be mounted on single rails on a plate with anti-vibration fixings.

Definitely a coax and other cable fro 353 to ARFAT and ARFAT to TUAAM

Need to look up cable numbers as I am also missing a second set.

Mike

Hi Arnie,

Which position are you planning on fitting the radio into?

Have you got the radio table fitted behind the automotive batteries? Have you got any cables left in from its original fitment?

Mike has found the mounting tray that the 353 will sit onto in the table.

Depending on which antenna mount you want to use, determines what length cables and brackets you need.

If you go for the front mounted tuaam, by the driver then the cable lengths are fairly easy, but the brackets are harder to find. If you want to mount by the rear door, then the brackets might be a bit easier to come by than the front, and you will need a long 12core and bnc lead to go from the Aarfat to the radio, and a short 7core and bnc from the aarfat and tuaam. Don't forget you might need the short bnc lead from the tuning ring at the antenna base to the tuaam. Also some antenna mounts don't have the link wire from the antenna mount to the tuner ring. Obviously the last couple of points relate to whatever position you go for.

I will post some pics at that other place you know!

Also I will give you that link for the clansman manuals

Dougy

Arnie

I have a lifetimes supply of untested ARFATs - PM me off list to sort something.

I can probably do the 12 way cable let me know what length you need

Regards

Iain

Correct me if I am wrong (I often am: it was a long time ago). Wasn't the ARFAT part of the VRC321 installation? My memory suggests that 353 goes radio - TUAAM - antenna?

Antenna, TUAMM, ARFAT, 353.

Dear ALL

Thank you for your help thus far,I will have a mearsure over the weekend and let you all know what parts I may need,cable lenghts and connectors.

Many thanks for all your help.

73's M6KBO

Arnie

Edited by arnie

Alien

The combinations were

353 - ARFAT - TUAAM - VHF base - Base No 31 - 2m rod

352 - initiate - TUAAM - VHF base - base No 31 - 2m rod

321 - TURF25W - base No. 31 - 2 to 4m of rods

321 - Amp 250W - TURF 250w - various antennas

The ARFAT is only used with the 353 - it is a switched power attenuator used to protect the 353 and TUAAM from a mismatched antenna in high power transmit following a frequency change until after the TUAAM has had time to match. It is needed because the TUAAM was originally part of the Racal product family that includes the 351/352 but the 353 can produce much more power. I expect that there was a Marconi tuner intended for the 353 that never made it into service leading to the use of the ARFAT to enable 353 to work with TUAAM but I have never seen documentary proof of that.

The 321 never had an auto tuner in the Clansman range - MEL did make one intended for the 321 although I was less than impressed with the one I tested and I wouldn't have bought it either!

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs

The ARFAT is only used with the 353 - it is a switched power attenuator used to protect the 353 and TUAAM from a mismatched antenna in high power transmit following a frequency change until after the TUAAM has had time to match. It is needed because the TUAAM was originally part of the Racal product family that includes the 351/352 but the 353 can produce much more power. I expect that there was a Marconi tuner intended for the 353 that never made it into service leading to the use of the ARFAT to enable 353 to work with TUAAM but I have never seen documentary proof of that.

Regards

Iain

I have a bit of a weird 353 that has a Turf position instead of Arfat, will see if I can get a pic of it for the weekend.

Dougy

Arnie

Apologies for delay.

Thus is the anti-vibration mounting for a 353/DMU (well one rail)

I am led to believe this is what was used in armoured vehicles

Install kit was NSN 5820-99-794-2635

Was checked in CES P45411-1 (whatever that one is) back in 1990.

Mike

P1020020.jpg