Ferret Transfer boxes

MiketheBike

Well...took it out for a 50 mile drive at the weekend, and to work today. What a laugh...now I'm glad I bought it!!!

Anyhow.....I know we all start leaking as we get older, and one of my front transfer boxes is no exception. I did not notice any leaks before the weekend, but have now noticed a small leak from the right hand front bevel box...I would say a bit more than a teaspoon, which on an old vehicle sounds fine to me. Is that normal? I am going to clean the floor and check again after a run on Wednesday.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick

Unfortunately 9 out of 10 ferrets do leak at some point / position. It is mainly due to the seals drying up due to lack of movement and becomes noticable when the new owner tends to move the vehicle more than the previous one.

On a positive note, it does give an indication that you have oil in the bevel box, so as long as it does not get excessive it really isnt too much to worry about.

The other thing to remember, it's British and like Royal Enfield M/C's (Royal Oilfield) they tend to leave a little puddle wherever they park up ;-)

Mick,

Is it coming out of the releif vavle at the top? Mine always fires hot oil at my leg from there on a long run. It is quite normal, just make sure it has the correct level in it.

Chris

Thanks guys...kinda confirms what I thought :-)

I guess my tasks over the next couple of minths is to drain and refill all the lubes just so I know where I am starting from...no great hassle and I'll know whats what.

I don't think its coming from the top, it appears to be coming from the seal where the shaft runs into it....but thats worth noting for when I wear my shorts in the summer!!

• 3 weeks later...

I missed you guys, I was away on business, and then could not get to the forum since Monday when I came back!!!!

well, another little leak springs up :-(

I thought it may have been the transfer box after I filled it, but I should have known the fluid was too thin....and it finally clicked when I wiped teh fluid off to see how much it was leaking and all the paint came off!!

Any idea where I can get a tappet assembly (wheel cylnder) from?

Also, I assume (probably incorrectly knowing me) that I can just use dot3 or dot4 fluid in the system?

Mick,

From the photo it seems you're reffering to the wheel station as a transfer box, which may cause some confusion! The transfer box is the bit on the end of the gearbox which allows you to swap from forward to reverse. The 4 boxes on either corner on the inside of the hull are bevel boxes, these contain bevel gears and change the direction of the drive by 90º from the prop shaft to the wheel station. The wheel station is that bit on the outside, with the hub reduction gears, brake units, tracta joints etc.

If you manage to find a new wheel cylinder it probably won't come with the fingers which operate the brake shoes. I had to reuse mine and replaced all the pivot pins with stailness steel ones. You might be able to rescue your old one though, the seals are a standard size and you should get them easy enough.

Chris

Mick,

Cables...!! I replaced all the cables on mine, it's a big job. You'll have to strip down most of the insides as they run under the floor and gearbox. Unless the cables are rusty and sticking I would just strip and clean the wheel cylinder and stick a new seal in it.

Chris