Alvis Stormer arrived today.

antar

This turned up today at the collection which I help look after. It starts ok but seems not to drive through the centrifugal clutch. Its now parked up feady for investigation into the problem.20130524_174241.jpg

John,

I had a thought after we spoke earlier, is the gearbox oil level correct?

Chris

No it is not, no oil showing on the stick at all !, found that after we spoke, looks like the gearbox has been drained as the hull access plate is missing from under the gearbox. Does it have an effect on the clutch in some way? What oil spec should we use ?

Regards John.

The gearbox uses oil pressure to apply the brake bands. No oil = no gears! I just use standard Diesel engine oil, I think it's 10/40. I suspect filling it up may solve your problem!

Chris

The gearbox uses oil pressure to apply the brake bands. No oil = no gears! I just use standard Diesel engine oil, I think it's 10/40. I suspect filling it up may solve your problem!

Chris

Nice one Chris, I will let you know the outcome tomorrow ! Hope you are right, it will save a lot of bother.

John.

No it is not, no oil showing on the stick at all !, found that after we spoke, looks like the gearbox has been drained as the hull access plate is missing from under the gearbox. Does it have an effect on the clutch in some way? What oil spec should we use ?

Regards John.

Ths same effect on a hydrostatic transmission on fork trucks. No oil... no drive!! Dont know the grade for your box but they use ATF (transmission 2) oil in fork lifts. I suspect thats your first avenue of call, but let it warm up first on tickover after you top the levels up. Then check oil level again. Find out if the level is taken at HOT or COLD. Some have both marked on the stick.

Ths same effect on a hydrostatic transmission on fork trucks. No oil... no drive!! Dont know the grade for your box but they use ATF (transmission 2) oil in fork lifts. I suspect thats your first avenue of call, but let it warm up first on tickover after you top the levels up. Then check oil level again. Find out if the level is taken at HOT or COLD. Some have both marked on the stick.

Infact just been thinking about it and due to the lack of oil and drive my expert opinion is its scrap!!

Nothing can be done, the engine is effected, hull integrity has gone, tracks worn to death and as for thoes killer bogies....!!! I realy wouldnt take a chance on ever getting it going or handing her back to the owner...!!:shocked:

I doo need a couple of nuts n bolts tho and would do you a BIG (HUGE!!) favour and remove it from your premisis before the authorities find out you have a dangerous vehicle there!!! :cool2:

NO, dont have to thank me..My pleasure for a fellow HMVF er!!;)

Just buy me a couple of beers as a thank you!!:nut:

Infact just been thinking about it and due to the lack of oil and drive my expert opinion is its scrap!!

Nothing can be done, the engine is effected, hull integrity has gone, tracks worn to death and as for thoes killer bogies....!!! I realy wouldnt take a chance on ever getting it going or handing her back to the owner...!!:shocked:

I doo need a couple of nuts n bolts tho and would do you a BIG (HUGE!!) favour and remove it from your premisis before the authorities find out you have a dangerous vehicle there!!! :cool2:

NO, dont have to thank me..My pleasure for a fellow HMVF er!!;)

Just buy me a couple of beers as a thank you!!:nut:

Hmm, your location "Merseyside"....I'll probably turn up this morning to find it up on a stack of old house bricks with all 24 road wheels missing !

Only joking, the old Manchester / Liverpool rivalry !

With regards to the actual fault l suspect your off the mark a bit with the comparrison to hydrostatic transmission, hydrostatic drive rely on the oil for the drive medium and also for the control circuit in most cases (charge pressure). What Chris mentioned was that this transmission relies on gearbox oil pressure for gear engagement, not as the actual drive medium as in a hydrostatic FLT.

Hmm, your location "Merseyside"....I'll probably turn up this morning to find it up on a stack of old house bricks with all 24 road wheels missing !

Only joking, the old Manchester / Liverpool rivalry !

With regards to the actual fault l suspect your off the mark a bit with the comparrison to hydrostatic transmission, hydrostatic drive rely on the oil for the drive medium and also for the control circuit in most cases (charge pressure). What Chris mentioned was that this transmission relies on gearbox oil pressure for gear engagement, not as the actual drive medium as in a hydrostatic FLT.

Just put bloody oil in it and see if it works mate, bloomin Mancs kicking off again as usual....!!!!;)

(what rivalry..???:cool2:)

Well diagnosed Chris ! Not bad from 100 miles away ! Added 15 litres of nice new engine oil, tightened the gearbox drain plug, refitted the intercooler that had been removed and not piped up when dropped back in place (no wonder it smoked like mad when it was delivered yesterday), closed all the deck covers and off we went, after checking engine oil and coolant levels.

Drives in every gear perfectly well, brakes are excelent, steering spot on. We have a long straight around the back of the building, managed to get up to 6th gear full speed along there, quite a nice bit of kit.

We then shunted evrything else up a bit (Chieftain AVRE, 2 x 432, 434, CET, AMX13) and parked it in line, decks are up again because there is a bit of water in the hull we need to drain.20130525_185009.jpg

If only all problems with AFVs were that easy to fix!

I can agree on that one, I spent the next 5 hours fitting 1 nut and bolt to the fuel injection pump drive shaft and checking the pump timing on my CET.