Charabanc manufacturer

nz2

I have recently purchased this postcard showing a group of four men in uniform in front of a Charabanc. In trying to identify the manufacturer there are a couple of key points;

1. The steering arm is outside of the chassis rail.

2. The spokes on the rear wheel are closer together at the rim than at the hub.

On the reverse of the card lists the town as Westcliff- on-Sea.

The card is unused so no post mark stamp.

Aside from being a commercially available postcard, but a Google search brings up nothing, I have thoughts otherwise as to it being a souvenir card taken as part of an outing, for the passangers to purchase and send off showing their adventures.

The body style with the progressively raised edge is another feature I could not find any similar photos of.

I will let someone else identify the uniforms and badges.

Doug

post card bus Westcliff-on -sea 3 alt eml ENGL.jpg

I have recently purchased this postcard showing a group of four men in uniform in front of a Charabanc. In trying to identify the manufacturer there are a couple of key points;

1. The steering arm is outside of the chassis rail.

2. The spokes on the rear wheel are closer together at the rim than at the hub.

On the reverse of the card lists the town as Westcliff- on-Sea.

The card is unused so no post mark stamp.

Aside from being a commercially available postcard, but a Google search brings up nothing, I have thoughts otherwise as to it being a souvenir card taken as part of an outing, for the passangers to purchase and send off showing their adventures.

The body style with the progressively raised edge is another feature I could not find any similar photos of.

I will let someone else identify the uniforms and badges.

Doug

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76761[/ATTACH]

Theres a simelar vehicle in a local history book about Victorian Wirral. Theres a series of them tho and it would take an age to trawl thru them! It belonged to a local company called Hardings and showed a simelar posed pic with locals on a day trip. A souvenir of their day out to be purchased after the journey or included in the price maybe?

If I dig it out will try to scan.

To keep it Miltary here's one based on an Ex-War Department Chassis..

"Y-Type" chassis Registration No. L6436, manufacturer AEC. 28 seater charabanc based on ex-War Department chassis, powered by a Tyler 4-cylinder petrol engine, introduced about 1920. Solid tyres at front and back, cursive logo "H C Ltd" on nearside front door, acetylene front lamp, folded hood at rear, 5 door handles shown, starting handle, front towing hook.

X375d.jpg

Thank you Runflat for the ID.

McCurd was not on my list of possibles, however I understand from some reading since, that they did find good support from bus companies.

If that photo was taken in NZ then it would be another rarity to add to the list of imported vehicles.I wonder were the second photo of the bare chassis was taken? Robert, do you know if any McCurd's imported into Australia?

Marmite's comment appears to be concerned to the vehicles role as a military item. I questioned this myself prior to posting the photo, if it would fit the relevant criteria for the forum. The subsidy scheme of civilian vehicles and the lack of purely military designed vehicles clouds the issue so much for this period of time.

The men in uniform showed a military presence, but with no rifles present, I took it the men were on leave. However other story lines could be contrived giving a different perspective. Could it be a mass evacuation of people , lets say a mine had washed up on the beach and the population of the immediate area was being removed to safety.

Perhaps Roy with his knowledge on buses and the military could advise us if any McCurd's were used in military maneuvers, may be with Britain.

Doug

They have their best hats on! A Sunday outing to the seaside I imagine.

About fifty McCurds were taken on by the WD and fitted with GS type bodys.

I don't think we should be concerned about whether or not to include early "civilian" type vehicles here. Many of these would have been used by the military anyway and the design features are all much the same.

I would rate HMVF as the best on line centre of knowledge for solid tyre vehicles. I am not aware of any other website which brings together so many knowledgeable people in such a friendly atmosphere.

Don't know much about McCurds at all. They don't feature so far in any records for the Western front, but I wouldn't expect them to as small manufacturers lorries were used mainly for the Home Front. Certainly no mention to date of any McCurd buses being used for anything.

Hello Doug.

Do you think it could be one of these? Just not sure what "one of these" is?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76762[/ATTACH]

Robert this is a nice image. Any further info re same??

These notes from Grace's Guide re McCurd .... McCurd announced his first lorry chassis in November 1912 at which time the company was based at 10-11 South Crescent, Store Street, London WC. During the period 1912-1914 the Company produced 2, 3 and 5-ton bonneted worm-drive trucks. McCurd had a factory at Finchley in 1913, and moved to Blyth Road, Hayes, Middlesex, in late 1921. Both John Sharp's and Rob Langham's flickr sites have good studies of the same McCurd lorry with that distinctive radiator and running gear .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/king_ed/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblangham

As far as any examples being imported into Australia I don't have an answer. Not to say that the make did not make it here but in the time I spent researching the topic I did not come across same as being offered to the ACMF. Rod