S26 tractor unit oils

Markheliops

Question

16 answers to this question

Ah thats where its gone, ex Richard Wilson, or did you go shared ownership ?

Will it carry the Chieftain ?

I brought it out-right Antar.

The trailer has my S26 on it as it is the better unit.

I intend to restore the other unit.

I'm sure the trailer could carry the Chieftain - it's big enough and strong enough but legally, no.

For STGO cat 2/3 you need to have 6 or more axles, including the tractor unit.

The trailer has 3 axles and the two load carrying axles on the tractor make 5 axles in total.

Bit of a pain really.

I am going to look to see if there is a way of fitting a fourth axles to the trailer or keep me eyes open for a 4 axle unit.

No I think you have that wrong, when calculating total number of axles you do include the front axle of the tractor unit, so you do have 6 axles in total. The unfortunate thing is that the RAF S26 tractors only have 6.5 tonne rated front axle, a dilema that I am trying to overcome at the moment as I am fitting a 16t/m lorry loader crane right behind the cab. It was only when working on the design of the sub frame that I noticed how "flat"the front springs had gone whilst the crane was sat on wooden blocks over the chassis.

The 5th wheel is slightly forwards of the rear bogie centre line (which is normal for a double drive tractor unit) so any trailer load transfers a small proportion of weight onto the front axle as well, clearly some acurate calculating is necessary so as not to exceed the 6.5 tonnes, which in my case is near imposible as I think I am almost at the limit with the crane sat on the chassis without even coupling to a trailer.

If you feel that you need to increase to a total of 7 axles then have you considered a single axle which could be added to the rear of the trailer with something like container locks, if it were on air bags then you could just couple it up after loading the Chieftain, connect the air, have the pressure set so it takes 6-7 tonnes off the trailer, you could even have it self tracking so there were no issues with tyre scrub due to the main 3 trailer axles carrying greater load. It would not even need spring chambers on the brakes, just service brakes only, this would save any messing when rolling it about after uncoupling it.

Edited by antar

There is an 8/9 ton front axle and spring combo available from the heavy duty version like Evening Star, it looks like it might be the same unit fitted to the S24. You would have to upgrade the tyre size though, 385/65 22.5 trailer type super singles should do.

There is an 8/9 ton front axle and spring combo available from the heavy duty version like Evening Star, it looks like it might be the same unit fitted to the S24. You would have to upgrade the tyre size though, 385/65 22.5 trailer type super singles should do.

Thanks Mike,

It is unlikely that I will find a commercial S26 or S24 being broken these days. I am already using 12.00x20 wheels and tyres on the front so have plenty of tyre capacity. It is the springs that are currently the problem, 2 leaf parabolic. I have checked the S26 SLDT and they have 3 leaf parabolic of about the correct length but they are slipper type rear end so not a straightforwards swap as the RAF S26 Tractors are a yoke type rear end. At the moment I am just considering the possibility of adding the bottom leaf of the SLDT spring assembly to the current set up.... any thoughts...

Hi John.

The front springs on the heavy haulage S26 vehicles should have the same springs as the Scammell S24 Part number HDK1541 made by Jonas Woodhead RSR ltd, the front spring Ubolts were made by Skidmore & sons in Walsal Part number NDK3487. The best vehicle to have a look at would be your friend Dave Crouch's S24 4x2 recovery.

I maybe able to get a drawing of the springs if that is any help.

you can give me a call via the number on my website if you need more info.

regards

Clive

Thanks Mike,

It is unlikely that I will find a commercial S26 or S24 being broken these days. I am already using 12.00x20 wheels and tyres on the front so have plenty of tyre capacity.

12.00R20 at 8.5bar (123psi) will give a 7.5ton capacity but the medium duty axle itself is only good for 6.6tons.

385/65/22.5 (super single) would give 9tons capacity with a suitable axle.

S24 and S26 heavy duty springs are rated at 4.5 tons each, S26 medium duty just 2.995tons each.

Hi John.

The front springs on the heavy haulage S26 vehicles should have the same springs as the Scammell S24 Part number HDK1541 made by Jonas Woodhead RSR ltd, the front spring Ubolts were made by Skidmore & sons in Walsal Part number NDK3487. The best vehicle to have a look at would be your friend Dave Crouch's S24 4x2 recovery.

I maybe able to get a drawing of the springs if that is any help.

you can give me a call via the number on my website if you need more info.

regards

Clive

Thanks Clive. What I thought was a relatively simple task just fitting a crane behind the cab has turned complex. When I fitted the one on the Crusader years ago, the springs never even noticed it, although its a bit further back towards the rear bogie due to the standard winch assembly being behind the cab, but that is also carrying the weight of the winch which must be at least 650kg. Will make a note of your number and call if necessary.

John.

12.00R20 at 8.5bar (123psi) will give a 7.5ton capacity but the medium duty axle itself is only good for 6.6tons.

385/65/22.5 (super single) would give 9tons capacity with a suitable axle.

S24 and S26 heavy duty springs are rated at 4.5 tons each, S26 medium duty just 2.995tons each.

Thanks for the info Mike,

Looks like I first need to borrow the weight pads from work just to see how much is on the front axle when the crane is in the position I want. I can see there being a nice green Ferrari 16t/m crane in the for sale section !

The 2.995tons rating of each spring does not leave much margin even for imposed load transfer through the 5th wheel, good job my trailer has 4 axles, I can see the coupling bieng moved back more in line with the rear bogie centre line.

No I think you have that wrong, when calculating total number of axles you do include the front axle of the tractor unit, so you do have 6 axles in total. The unfortunate thing is that the RAF S26 tractors only have 6.5 tonne rated front axle, a dilema that I am trying to overcome at the moment as I am fitting a 16t/m lorry loader crane right behind the cab. It was only when working on the design of the sub frame that I noticed how "flat"the front springs had gone whilst the crane was sat on wooden blocks over the chassis.

The 5th wheel is slightly forwards of the rear bogie centre line (which is normal for a double drive tractor unit) so any trailer load transfers a small proportion of weight onto the front axle as well, clearly some acurate calculating is necessary so as not to exceed the 6.5 tonnes, which in my case is near imposible as I think I am almost at the limit with the crane sat on the chassis without even coupling to a trailer.

If you feel that you need to increase to a total of 7 axles then have you considered a single axle which could be added to the rear of the trailer with something like container locks, if it were on air bags then you could just couple it up after loading the Chieftain, connect the air, have the pressure set so it takes 6-7 tonnes off the trailer, you could even have it self tracking so there were no issues with tyre scrub due to the main 3 trailer axles carrying greater load. It would not even need spring chambers on the brakes, just service brakes only, this would save any messing when rolling it about after uncoupling it.

Interesting idea Antar.

I like the trailer I have now.

I previously thought it can't be rocket science to fit a fourth axle just to take some one weight off the other three axles.

I will have a look so feel free with any ideas you come up with.

Thanks

Markheliops