Painting my Saracen

trophy160

The long job of stripping the flaking paint and preparing it for painting will shortly start. I'm guessing that a zinc primer is as good as anything to put onto the old paint/bare metal and was thinking of this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261184948738?var=560187945243&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Now in reality it's going to take time to do this so I would like to prime sections as I work around the vehicle and this clearly needs to be done on the same day I strip the old paint. It might not always be convenient to mix up primer get the spray gun out and more to the point clean it all up afterwards if I've only done a smallish section. I was thinking of getting some cans of spray zinc primer that I could use to put a thin layer on (to stop rust) and then when I've got a decent area to spray, crank out the proper spray gun. But, if I do this (and assuming I don't use reacting primers) will I get poorer priming/rust protection by doing a two stage prime?

I have just starting cleaning off some rough paintwork at work with some discs that fit on an angle grinder for polishing Stainless Steel welds and it is great at stripping off paint - may be worth a try on your Saracen - if interested I will get some more details on the type of disc from work?

You can also use rotary wire brushes on an angle grinder, the twisted wire type are quite effective and last reasonably well.

Dont forget that primer can be porous too so dont leave it too long or you will get rust coming through...

Yes, in addition to my needle gun I have also bought a wire brush for the angle grinder and some of these poly discs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300715559936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 they look like they will cut through old paint pretty well. Good point about the porosity of primer, must admit I am concerned about the likely time difference between starting to spray bits and finishing it, ie should all paint (primer and top coat) be applied before the respective layers have fully cured or is it OK to put top coat on top of fully dried primer. It would be a be of a bummer to spend months preparing it just to find that the new paint is not keyed to the primer

I use this firm for the strip & clean wheels, they used to be based in Huddersfield, but have moved. They do mail order and are far cheaper than ebay etc.

For larger areas, I would recommend the grinder mounted discs, don't forget your goggles!

http://www.rightlines.ltd.uk/Products.aspx

Edited by Simon Daymond