CVRT master cylinders

timbo

So I have known for a while that cvrt m/c's are superficially the same as land rover series 3 ones, but the cvrt uses mineral oil, not brake fluid.

My theory is this, have bought a series 3 m/c (£15), and the piston and components look identical to cvrt. I also have a stock of seal rebuild kits for cvrt (also £15). Fit the cvrt seals to the lr mc, and hey presto you have a new mc for £30 (compared to the £80-£120 which seems to be the going rate for cvrt ones).

Any thoughts? Am I missing something here?

Cheers

Tim

Hi Vince

It looks identical in every respect. I'm probably going to have a go at changing the seal in the next few days so ill let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by timbo
Edited so i dont sound like vinces mum!

Tim,

Make sure you soak the new seals in brake oil before attempting to stretch them over the piston. Don't ask how I know this!!

Chris

Hi Chris

Yes saw that post - learning from others experience is always the best way!

Cheers

Tim

Here is a comparison of the two mc's - a new series 3 one and a very worn out CVRT one. The only discernible difference I have been able to find, apart from the seal material, is in the length of the actuating rod, which is easily sorted.

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Chris

Before I forget it is 90569128...

I dont have any mineral oil to soak the seals at the moment, so it will take a while. Annoyingly I have an unopened 25 litre tub of ISO10 but it's on the back of my Saladin, 120 miles away..!

Cheers

Tim

Chris

Before I forget it is 90569128...

I dont have any mineral oil to soak the seals at the moment, so it will take a while. Annoyingly I have an unopened 25 litre tub of ISO10 but it's on the back of my Saladin, 120 miles away..!

Cheers

Tim

I've got an opened 25 lit tin though :-) only 250ml used! (fluid flywheel)

MT

Tim,

There are definitely no other rubber parts in the Land Rover master cylinder which could be a problem? Pressure relief valves etc?

Chris

Chris

Have taken both cylinders down to bare casting. The only seals appear to be the main seal on the piston, and the smaller (non return?) seal on the end of the piston rod, both of which are included in the rebuild kit. Im going to give one of these a go in my steering brakes. Was going to put it on the main brakes but I rarely seem to use them so thought I maya as well give it a proper test..!

Cheers

Tim

I need to rebuild several of these master cylinders this summer for my Sabre project.

Can you please tell me why you need to replace the seals in the Land rover master cylinder for the CVRT ones.

Is it a different type of rubber used?.

The mineral oil seals seem to be a bit less 'rubbery' if there is such a word. All the ones i have seen so far seem to be a light green colour to differentiate them i presume. They are also a pig to fit hence need to be soaked. I then found I could carefully stretch it using some small pliers and ease them over the piston. The smaller seal is not a problem.

If you use the land rover seals with mineral oil they will turn to mush. Similarly if you try to use brake fluid in the cvrt brakes you will end up in a big mess...!

I have now completed the rebuild of the mc so Im going to try and fit and bleed them over the weekend. Will let you know how i get on.

Hope this helps. I have also had a bit of welding work done on the steering box which was starting to suffer with the dreaded corner cracking. Again i will post some pics over the weekend...

Cheers

Timbo

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Is it Banisters from East Sussex who have the seal kits.

Next question is the correct grade of oil to use, is it something like Shell Tellus Oil (hydraulic fluid)?

Hello mate i use Morris lubricants ISO10 which seems to work quite well...

Cheers

Tim

• 4 months later...
Tim,

How did you get on with the LR master cylinders in the end, no problems I take it?

Stripped the three m/c's out of my Spartan ready for rebuilding yesterday so just wondered if there were any updates before ordering the parts.

Cheers,

James

Still working perfect mate. In fact if anything the LR one is a bit firmer....recommended...I've ordered a stack of them and the seal kits to go with them, much better than the £100+ which seems to be the going rate for cvrt ones...

Cheers

Tim

Perfect! Just ordered the m/c's, that's this weekend taken care of!

I must admit though, I was a bit surprised that the main brake m/c is the same as the steering ones, I was expecting the main brake cylinder to be a bit bigger given it's operating two calipers each with larger pistons, but I guess the steering ones must just be over spec'd? Or is it more for practical/commonality reasons should they need replacing in the field?

James

Perfect! Just ordered the m/c's, that's this weekend taken care of!

I must admit though, I was a bit surprised that the main brake m/c is the same as the steering ones, I was expecting the main brake cylinder to be a bit bigger given it's operating two calipers each with larger pistons, but I guess the steering ones must just be over spec'd? Or is it more for practical/commonality reasons should they need replacing in the field?

James

James

I guess part commonality is a consideration but in practice it's pretty rare to make use of the main brakes anyway - they tend to stop pretty quickly once you take your foot off the gas..!

Cheers

Timbo

Edited by timbo

• 4 months later...

A quick update on this...not much use of the old girl over the winter due to a few (ahem) ignition problems and a lack of time, but I have been poking around with the brakes while I have had the decks off. The LR cylinder remains very firm and responsive with no problems at all.

Cheers all...

A quick update on this...not much use of the old girl over the winter due to a few (ahem) ignition problems and a lack of time, but I have been poking around with the brakes while I have had the decks off. The LR cylinder remains very firm and responsive with no problems at all.

Cheers all...

Extremely happy with that seen as I have bought most of the kit to redo the cylinders on my spare and ordered the oil. The assembly looks grubby but its all free and moving but leaking in places it shouldn't.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87114[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87115[/ATTACH]