Gmc cckw engine colour

John Comber

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-48-Engine-Paint-Olive-GMC/productinfo/88-055/#.UXbxhcqP7gY

This is THE CORRECT COLOR. Yes, I said that in bold. Yes I am saying it with certainty. Yes I am sure.

You can read about it here:

http://www.tm9-801.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=782

You will need to log in to see the photos, but its the right stuff.

I hope the humor of my last post came across.

Yeah, lots of color commentary (pun intended) over the last few years... but in this rare instance it can be traced back to GM what the color of the engine was.

What I find odd is that while the US Army painted overhauled engines OD green, why would all the post war Marshall Plan and later NATO Countries come up with all these wild neon green variation?

I'll leave that topic for a much later discussion.

There would be little contrast to see a leak. A light colored liquid on a light colored background?

And why only the CCKW's 270? Jeeps were handed over post war and I don't see many neon green jeep motors. Most of the crated post war rebuilt in france motors were OD like the MBs.

There would be little contrast to see a leak. A light colored liquid on a light colored background?

The British Army have been painting engines in Eau-de-nil then Sky Blue for over 60 years and having spend a good part of my working life repairing them, I can safely say that anti freeze or oil leaks show up well on them, more so than any other colour.

It must be a European thing.

When a Ford GPW motor was overhauled it was not repainted gray, but OD.

Post War:

The M38 motor was OD

The M211, M135 and M35 motors were all OD

I'm trying the think of a snarky 'American oil doesn't hide' comment.. but nothing comes to mind :laugh: