Help! Can anyone shed ight on these characters?

Tobin

RAC "Mailed Fist" cap badge only generally worn by depot and training units on the black beret........"WW1 tank" arm badge most definitely only worn by RTR personnel...........the battledress worn is the post-42 "utility" pattern but still high-neck so not later than 45-46 when newer patterns were introduced with tailored open collars........shirt and tie also indicates post-44-45 when this privilege was granted to O/Rs when not on duty..........and some also wear shoes, also permitted by this time with this dress combination.........so I would agree possibly officer cadets or a training unit prior to posting to RTR and RAC formations.........date between (earliest) '44 and up to (I think) '46........? Can't see any medal ribbons worn so possibly a training unit or officer cadets......?

I would say the fact that they have been fully "badged up" would indicate they are not trainees.

This photo as stated could be any point in the early post war years- i have pictures of my grandfather from '48 with the same unlined BD blouse open at the neck for shirt and collar when walking out.

My guess is it's simply a unit portrait- many units took the opportunity to have portraits taken- obviously with the men wearing their best dress for that extra special occasion.

I would say the fact that they have been fully "badged up" would indicate they are not trainees.

This photo as stated could be any point in the early post war years- i have pictures of my grandfather from '48 with the same unlined BD blouse open at the neck for shirt and collar when walking out.

My guess is it's simply a unit portrait- many units took the opportunity to have portraits taken- obviously with the men wearing their best dress for that extra special occasion.

It's a good point about the BD, the wartime patterns continued in use for several years after WW2 despite modified blouses coming into production (1946 and 1947 patterns) prior to the 1949 pattern. The other interesting thing is some of the men shown are certainly not too youthful :-D ! Thus possibly not trainees. But if so, there does seem to be a distinct lack of any NCO ranking and any wartime medal ribbons being worn......unless we are looking at, say a late-45 onwards "intake" and as mentioned up to at least the end of the 40s.......interestingly Gaylor's informative book on British cap badges states that the RAC "mailed fist" badge was introduced in 1941 and worn "at recruit training depots and in the wartime numbered regiments of the corps"........:)