Towing a Bofars

Thank you for the info , I am not sure if its braked or not as I haven't actually seen it yet, it's been given to me, but I just gotta collect it. So maybe I better get it by a lorry initially. But if I do need to get it fitted with brakes, can I leagally tow it to shows ?

If it has brakes, you can tow it. As it can't have a load put on it, I would assume it counts as an unladen trailer which you can tow with the GMC as a test exempt vehicle. They aren't very heavy though, I've seen heavier items pulled by GMC's without brakes before! The 105mm howitzer originally had brakes but the later models had none and they were designed to be pulled by the CCKW-352 and I think the Bofors is a similar weight, perhaps a little more.

Given to you? Blimey, I wish I had luck like that! :thumbsup: Like to see some pics when you can...

• 3 months later...

Mmm - don't quote me on this and it is just my (considered) opinion , but since it falls outside the construction and use regs or whatever the current equivalent is, then if it did not originally have mudguards I believe you might be ok without. Take a look at all those vintage cars running around with no mudguards for example, or M5 bomb trailers for a wartime equivalent if you can find one (are you there, Tony Corbin??).

Not quite sure who you would go to for an authoritative answer other than VOSA - but that avenue might depend on getting to the right person to start with.

Just be aware the bofors is unsprung, top heavy, narrow tracked and has a tow speed of about 20 MPh. They do fall over and are a pain to move in a concrete yard at 5 MPh, I wouldn't want to move one to far on a road or on grass.

J

Sent from my ONE TOUCH 983 using Tapatalk 2

Just be aware the bofors is unsprung, top heavy, narrow tracked and has a tow speed of about 20 MPh. They do fall over and are a pain to move in a concrete yard at 5 MPh, I wouldn't want to move one to far on a road or on grass

mmmm maybe a test run tomorrow then