polecat paul

i'm afraid the REOs whistle does it for me. :oops:

not very adventurous I know but then I would like a

Chally 2

half track

jeep

schwimwaggen

kettenkrad

GMC ( sorry guys but its near the bottom)

series 3 lanny ( for old times sake)

what did you say the bank balance was again :?:

ta

Berni

I guess my top five would be...

Gallion road roller,WW2 US Corps of Engineers.

Quick Way crane mounted on a hard cab CCKW.

D4 Cat,Corps of Engineers.

M8 Greyhound.(sorry Lloyd!!)

M24 Chaffee.

At this moment that is my top five but give me a minute and it will probably change!

• 3 weeks later...

1) DUKW, as my Dad was an instructor on then in WWII

2) GMC 352/353,- esp, if I could find evidence of use by the brit's

3)Churchill Crocodile flamer, as the guys who maned those, along with the 4) bren carrier wasp, to my mind had B*LLs, of courage,..........thats not dissing Any AFV crews,..or indeed, anyone who fought.

5)AEC Matador/ Scammell Pioneer.

6) Daimler Dingo.

7).....................................on,............

where do you stop,..................

I guess, with even one of my wishes, I would first need to buy somewhere large enough to store it/them.

Still, nice to dream

Andy

Hi Andy,

Where was your dad based while he was a instructor? the reason I ask is I live a couple of miles from what in WW2 were three of the biggest Royal Marine training bases in the UK,and they had a DUKW school here.the actual base with the DUKW's was named Iceland and it was located near Llwyngwril in Mid Wales.

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt,

My Dad was RASC,amphibian training wing, based at Morfa camp, Towyn.

(Tywyn, as the welsh, and 'new' maps pronounce it).

Along with DUKW's, also trained drivers on Alligators.Buffalo's,Weasels and Terrapins.

When he talks about those day's, and its not that often, he certainly re-lives his time there.

As an aside, he is gob smacked at the prices DUKW's are fetching now;

Andy

(if I can get some of his photo's scanned, I'll post.)

Hi Andy,

Tywyn is eight miles from me! ask your dad if he remembers the Neptune hotel.if you can post some pics that would be great,I'll go and take a picture from the same angle today.has your dad been back to Tywyn?

Cheers,

Matt.

Andy

"Along with DUKW's, also trained drivers on Alligators.Buffalo's,Weasels and Terrapins"

Does your dad have any recollections of use Tabby IR system on Buffalo's? Tabby was fitted to them for crossing the Rhine, but they didn't then use it. Instead they did DF from a 19 set. When you next speak to him ask if he trained with Tabby on any of his vehicles. (BTW there will be a Tabby article to be posted soon, I have more archive material on this subject than the Tank Museum!)

Well, this is just me but the vehicles that I find desirable are:

1. GMC CCKW (I have one already :D)

2. M2 or M7 Directors trailer

3. M29/M29C Weasel

4. jeep (I already have one of those too :roll:)

And to think that I am only 15, nearly 16 :shock:. What can I say? I'm getting an early start. Of course neither of the vehicles are "legally" mine because of my age.

Another vehicle that I have (will have once it is passed on to me) is a 1948 Chevrolet Thriftmaster pickup. That is at the top of my list for civilian vehicles.

• 1 month later...

1. M8 Greyhound

2. Daimler armoured car

3. Brengun Carrier

4. Sherman tank

5. Halftrack (with meat grinder)

But it's hard to choose, right now I'm totally happy with my WC51 but if money is of no importance.... :lol:

For me it would be a Commer Water Cannon as built for the RUC in 1950s then modified for Army use in 1970.

There are box-like, ugly, crude, improvised yet wonderful & fascinating. When the Army had them they were modified from 2 squirt to single squirt. There were two Triton 1 & Triton 2.

Triton was the mythical son of Neptune & Aphrodite, he distinguished himself making funny noises by blowing water through sea shells. (The boy seems to have been easily amused).