GMC CCKW fuel gauge aghhhh

Hi all getting round to sorting out the fuel gauge on my truck, never been connected since I have had it. Well I have got the fuel gauge and float sender out on the dinning room table and cant get it to play can anyone out there confirm how it should work !! the variable resistor on the float works fine ranging from empty position at 1.5 Ohms to full position at 29 Ohms.

The gauge however seems to be operating back to front, but at best will only read just over the E mark but in operating the float the needle moves between the emptiest point to just over the E mark.

Have 6 volt +ve feed to one connection on gauge the other connection of the gauge to the screw term on the float sender and the sender housing to earth -ve also have noticed in manual it looks like the gauge case needs earthing too which I have done.

Any other suggestions..... that I might have missed.

Have a look on the G503 jeep forum, there is a very good article with photos under GPW and MB technical knowledge forum on testing and repairing 6V gas gauges

Pete

Thanks Pete, had a good read of that post although a completely different gauge I got the jist of what was going on, Stripped my gauge down and tested through only to discover it also had an earth issue inside the gauge, pics to follow.

Make sure the gauge itself is well earthed. i usually solder a short piece of wire to the back of the gauge and fix that wire to a good earth point.

Yep, did not realize the gauges needed an earth to the case however just earthing the case did not help as it was due to corrosion inside the gauge case itself.