Mod-Issue Barbour Motorcycle Jacket - 1980s

wdbikemad

014.jpg Anyone remember these...? When Barbour actually issued waxed-cotton motorcycle clothing to the Army............I found this near-new large size (46") jacket and trousers in a dark-brown waxed cotton (that stinks !!!) only 3 years ago now for a very reasonable £20................seem to remember them being worn on Armstrong MT500s with ski-type goggles and Cromwell "jet-style" green open-face helmets (also favoured by "Eager Beaver" drivers !!)..............I have tested this on both our 1940 Norton and 1942 Ariel and it IS warm, wind and weather-resistant.............!! :-D

011.jpg

013.jpg

The old Solway jacket! No longer made apparently as they would be to expensive!

Hasn't got "Solway" on it Tony, only "International Suit".........it's a great item though........one inside pocket and 4 outer pockets, the one on the right-breast actually having a zip beneath the flap.......not visible is the belt or the tan fleece waistcoat-style lining held in by press-fasteners.......it is very heavy-duty cotton and quite stiff.....

Hasn't got "Solway" on it Tony, only "International Suit".........it's a great item though........one inside pocket and 4 outer pockets, the one on the right-breast actually having a zip beneath the flap.......not visible is the belt or the tan fleece waistcoat-style lining held in by press-fasteners.......it is very heavy-duty cotton and quite stiff.....

The Solway had straight pockets but was made of the same weight of cotton. Are there a serious of small poppers down each side of the zip? I've still got one of the hairy liners. Oh yes reason for stopping isue: To expensive!

The Solway had straight pockets but was made of the same weight of cotton. Are there a serious of small poppers down each side of the zip? I've still got one of the hairy liners. Oh yes reason for stopping isue: To expensive!

There are indeed a series of small poppers running either side of the main zip Tony, to attach the liner......there's also a tab at the neck with a press-fastener to secure the liner there......