Anti-theft device for truck contents?

matchlesswdg3

Question

I have a rag-top MW that is stuffed with bits of kit for shows - nothing that valuable, but with the way prices are going for "collectables" I get worried about keeping the scrotes at bay - its not always possible to keep an eye on stuff. Any suggestions for an alarm system that would deter people - I was thinking along the lines of a sensor you could set up to detect say the tilt being undone or a box shifted - something that detects something inside being moved. I have an alarm that detects movements of people - but it also detects flapping canvas so that is not much use on a windy day! Ferg

3 answers to this question

There are many Battery opperated "shed" alarms that work using the magnetic contact principle - ie - the unit is placed by the side ofthe door and the magnetic contact sits on the door along side it - when the door is opened the contact between the two is broken and the alwarm sounds !

This maybe favourable to a car-alarm which is 12v powered - and many mvs are only running on 6v - also no battery drain from the vehicle!

They are relativly cheap - and could be adapted to prevent boxes from being opened/moved or with some injunitiey could even be fitted to the canvas flap / tailboard ?

Its a tough one - and one thats made me think......Ive known of thefts from vehicles over the years -a sad reflection of the world we are intoday - anything that prevents is a good idea !

When I had the SUMB I put wire mesh under the tilt stapled to wooden planks bolted to the hoops either side which left only the open back to protect (and stopped water pooling above the roof!) - Maplins used to sell a light beam alarm (separate lamp and receiver boxes for either side the door) which solved that - I also bolted some heavy weld mesh to the tailgate to make it difficult to climb in while the truck was laid up over the winter

There are IR shed alarms which may be usable if the sensor can be positioned so as not to see anything outside but I never got round to trying that

Iain