Hi, new to forum but not to restoration.

smiffy

Hi I am new to forums but have been restoreing for 30 years . many years ago i restored the Crossley I G L 8 now owned by John Crossley, I have a IGL3 Crossley which i have owned for 25 years. It is 90 % restored but has not been touched for some years I also have a1300l unimog when i get the hang of how to do it i will post some photos . Mike Smith

Hi I am new to forums but have been restoreing for 30 years . many years ago i restored the Crossley I G L 8 now owned by John Crossley, I have a IGL3 Crossley which i have owned for 25 years. It is 90 % restored but has not been touched for some years I also have a1300l unimog when i get the hang of how to do it i will post some photos . Mike Smith

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Did you rescue the IGL8 from Mutton's yard at Sissinghurst around 1980? I remember seeing one in there, along with other gems. A friend bought a Morris Commercial C4 compressor truck from there, which I helped him to restore, I think it was the only vehicle that was under cover and in better nick than the rest.

regards,

Richard

Hi yes it was the one from muttons yard that i restored .i sold it some years later and eventually it ended up with its present owner John Crossley who is a relation of the orginal Crossley family .The IGL3 i now own was in a worse state than the IGL8

when i found it .It is now nearly finished but due to other commitments has been untouched for some years I belive it is possible the sole survivor . Unfortunately i might have to dispose of it due to loss of storage space .Mike

• 2 years later...

Hello Mike .. its dave here .. I am the Dave who took you to see the IGL3 which you bought . I took you to see it first of all you came to my house I seem to remember , then we had lunch and then went to Ian Simpson's house and then on into Derbyshire to see the IGL3. I did see the IGL3 about ten years ago now when myself and John Crossley went to see Les Smith's IGL8 which he bought soon after. les Smith's IGL8 was the one from the yard at Baughurst. I do hope you did not have to sell your IGL3 because I can see the huge amount of work that had gone into it when we saw it on the farm. We did not meet you there but you gave John directions and I seem to remember we found it quite easily at the time.

How are you getting on, I think we last spoke about ten years ago now, my wife had a serious stroke a few years ago and that has seriously curtailed any trips to see far flung Crossleys but I have carried on restoring my coaches with the aid of a retired coachbuilder. One completely finished and one well on the way ... external frame completely rebuilt ..panels back on .. the next big job is the paintwork. Well hope to hear from you soon if you see this thread .....