1972 Workshop

juddy

I have been busy with work/life so have not posted for a while, we now have this lovely Workshop we are working on.

Its one of the last of the Series 2a built. Hopefully we can have it done for when my father visits in Feb..

I dont have any history on this, it came from Victoria, so we think it may have been based down there, the inside of the firewall was like new with the red primer still as new, I have replaced alot of parts on it so far, new doors, repaired the cracks in the wings, nearly new tyres, I have a OEM front and rear new canvas set, new brakes parts, rebuilt axles, new steering parts, new exhaust, 500 plus pounds on nuts and bolts, door seals etc, the list went out of control.

I have decided to fit a genuine Bamford winch, just looks a little different, and I have a Larkspur wing box to fit, I have a clansman set and all the bits, so until I can afford a Larkspur , I might fit that , oh and I also have a original generator set for the rear.

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0014-3.jpg

DSC_0073-2.jpg

DSC_0071-1.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0068-1.jpg

DSC_0067-1.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

Edited by juddy
add text

Hi Richard

No not this time, I have family coming over so I will not be able to make it, next year yes, I think its the year of the Emergency Vehicle, hoping we can get something to replace the Firefly for then.

Charlie will be going, as long as he is fit and well.

He loves his RB. I am working on a Import permit for these mid year, so we may have a few more coming over...

Hi Richard

No not this time, I have family coming over so I will not be able to make it, next year yes, I think its the year of the Emergency Vehicle, hoping we can get something to replace the Firefly for then.

Charlie will be going, as long as he is fit and well.

He loves his RB. I am working on a Import permit for these mid year, so we may have a few more coming over...

OK Juddy,

I will see Charlie and the others there, sorry to miss you. Had a call from him recently. Think he is on commission selling the idea of RB44 for bush treks ;)

Hes loaning me the RB so we can get some certification test done on it soon. I have had a few Interested people, and lots of tyre kickers wanted info, I think if we can get one done as a tour vehicle we might sell a few..

Very interesting vehicle, grand work your doing.

A few questions arising:-

Is the chassis hot dipped galvanised original? If so was that a typical Aus military spec that is on all of that era?

You state it is a "workshop" vehicle, so does it have a drop in kit with drill press, welder, gas bottles etc or is it like a ute filled with tool boxes and spares as for various needs?

R

Very interesting vehicle, grand work your doing.

A few questions arising:-

Is the chassis hot dipped galvanised original? If so was that a typical Aus military spec that is on all of that era?

You state it is a "workshop" vehicle, so does it have a drop in kit with drill press, welder, gas bottles etc or is it like a ute filled with tool boxes and spares as for various needs?

R

Hi Robin

I dont think the chassis were galvanised over here, and I dont think the workshops were either.

More or less all the workshops had the same design rear body, that was made in Australia. Then they were equipped for different roles, Welding, Electrical, Radio Repair, Fuel, General Service, and even mobile offices, I also know someone who as a Radar variant. Different fittings would also be used depending on what needed to be bolted down.

A small number of hard tops were also made, some utilising the original rear body work, and some with a box body only. These are very rare indeed. They were also only a few Series 2a with the headlights in the guards made, like mine, and very few with winches.

Screenshot2012-06-24at32504PM.png

Screenshot2012-07-22at93411PM.png

Screenshot2012-08-08at80533PM.png

Screenshot2012-08-12at50022PM.png

Screenshot2012-08-21at30426PM.png

This is a early Workshop in the Bronze Green that was used.

Screenshot2012-10-22at94423PM.png

Edited by juddy

• 1 month later...

A few months have come and gone, and today I moved the workshop back to my home, so I can finish off the smaller jobs, all done with the help of my good friend Charlies RB44. Looks good behind the RB.

Now all I need to do is get him to help me with the brakes, clutch, and the wheels, they point inwards...

DSC_0017-2.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0013-3.jpg

DSC_0011-2.jpg

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg