NSN to Vehicles

Bob Grundy

A friend has a large quantity of parts for vehicles of the 1960's 70's & 80's. They all have a Nato Stock Number and a name such as say......SWITCH or SEAL etc.

Is there any method by way of finding out as to what actual veicle they fit ?

Hi Bob,

If the 13 digit NSN is prefixed with the code such as LV7BD (Bedford), LV7RU (Land Rover), etc this will give clues as to makes or types, sometimes a makers number is also on the label. Unfortunatley in latter years, the prefix is not used and unless there is a supply and pack label on the package as well, little clues until you unwrap it.

Bob there are some Domestic Management Codes listed here:

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/ArmyandNavyStoresNumbers.pdf

If you think Army codes are difficult take a look at the Navy ones!

If you want earlier DMCs with LV prefixes essentially derived from VAOS origins there are some earlier articles in that section.

I may be interested in anything beginning with 9ACR or LV6MT4 as they're FV432 or Abbot respectively. K60 engine parts seem to start with LV10.

Andy

Hi Andy,

You will find 6MT4 parts (not inc. lamps and ignition systems though) on every vehicle from WW2 to current, it is not specific for FV430 series vehicles. It covers all common electrical parts for Mechanical Transport. As for LV10, this also covers all Rolls B range engine parts as well. No way to narrow it down, you have to check the part numbers against an ISPL for your vehicle.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Just out of curiosity has anyone got the NSN list for the Meteor engine? My Cent list has everything BUT the main engine parts list (apart from 'here's the code for a replacement engine'). We've got a lot of parts we want to sort out, think most of them are for the Conqueror, but there is reputedley cent parts in there as well (probably a lot of cross over).

Cheers

Paul

I was once ticked off for publishing incorrect prefixes in Section LV1 (non-stadardised British 'A' Vehicles), LV2 (Light tanks & carriers) & LV9 (standardised 'A' & 'B' Vehicles) as it contradicted the complainee's experience for certain vehicles he was used to dealing with.

All my listings have been derived from Chilwell catalogues, VAOS, COSA etc. The point is that with time the same prefix can be used by different vehicles, the Section is determined by the role that vehicle fufills at that particular time.

PS Examples:

LV1/NM Crusader, Cavalier, Tortoise (1946)

LV1/NM Churchill Special Roles, Centurion & Conqueror ARVs ((1967)

LV1/NM Centurion Special Roles & ARVs (1970)

Edited by fv1609
Examples

Hi Andy,

You will find 6MT4 parts (not inc. lamps and ignition systems though) on every vehicle from WW2 to current, it is not specific for FV430 series vehicles. It covers all common electrical parts for Mechanical Transport. As for LV10, this also covers all Rolls B range engine parts as well. No way to narrow it down, you have to check the part numbers against an ISPL for your vehicle.

Thanks Richard, I should have known it wouldn't be that simple!

Andy

Just out of curiosity has anyone got the NSN list for the Meteor engine? My Cent list has everything BUT the main engine parts list (apart from 'here's the code for a replacement engine'). We've got a lot of parts we want to sort out, think most of them are for the Conqueror, but there is reputedley cent parts in there as well (probably a lot of cross over).

Cheers

Paul

I've got a copy of the Conq ARV illustrated parts list, which includes the meteor engine - I'll bring it in with me next time I'm in (after the xmas shutdown).

It has a mix of NSN and older domestic numbers (LV, FV, etc.), but unfortunately the numerical index in the back appears to be lacking a lot of the numbers s it might be a bit of a hunt to find things by number.

Edited by Lauren Child

Lauren,

Thanks for that, it'll help no end. If it's all right by you I'll copy it into .xls spreadsheet so that it will be searchable.

The Conqueror engine isn't a Meteor though; it's an M120 (think that's right). There are lots of shared components, but it is a different engine. It'll be good to get lists for both the Conqueror and Centurion so that we can finally sort out what we've got in the way of spare parts.

The Conqueror engine isn't a Meteor though; it's an M120 (think that's right). There are lots of shared components, but it is a different engine. It'll be good to get lists for both the Conqueror and Centurion so that we can finally sort out what we've got in the way of spare parts.

It is a Meteor, you're right about it being an M120 but it's still a Meteor, though very different to a IVB!

It looks like there were two versions in use, the Conq book lists as

Engine, Meteor, M120, No.2, Mk.1A ... ... ... ... FV88258

Engine, Meteor, M120, No.2, Mk.1D ... ... ... ... FV91643

Is it completely diffierent or is it the ancillaries that have changed against the 4B?

Edited by Lauren Child

M120 is quite a different beast in some ways to the meteor. Looks are different, mags are on the other end of the engine. Different pistons, and castings look different. Cam followers, pedastals are the same. I think the firing order is different, but not too sure. Oh and fuel injection, different magnetos and starter motor.

Recon it could be classed as the evolution of the Meteor, a bit like an Astra. Whether a 90's one or one from now it's called an Astra, but very different.

Blimey, well they don't look that similar. There's a couple of M120's in storage at Duxford next to a couple of meteors and they do look different. I knew that they had the same capacity, stroke and bore. Didn't know if they'd share a common bottom end though. Are the cam profiles different? Would have thought so. Still how many engines have kept the same trousers but changed their shirts......