Spares box ID please

shadow_wolf

Question

11 answers to this question

This type of spares box was used throughout the war for use inside Armoured Cars,I recently sold two that are identicle to yours but it was for the 2 pounder gun dated 1945 !

your one is in Very good nic .

Rob...............rnixartilley

Edited by rnixartillery

Made by remploy in 1952. Standard issue in all postwar tanks & afv's. They were for the ranging/coax mg's. & also main armament mg's like the .30" cal browing used on ferret,s, saracens ect.

I have sold many of these in the past. They are hard to source these days!

Used to stow maintainance tools & weapon spare parts & cleaning rod sets for the mg used on board respective afv's in british service.

Made by remploy in 1952. Standard issue in all postwar tanks & afv's. They were for the ranging/coax mg's. & also main armament mg's like the .30" cal browing used on ferret,s, saracens ect.

I have sold many of these in the past. They are hard to source these days!

Used to stow maintainance tools & weapon spare parts & cleaning rod sets for the mg used on board respective afv's in british service.

Cheers for the info ferretfixer

If only we could turn back the clocks, or have time travel, with what we know now, the stuff that we could have saved :-)

I spent my late teens and early twenties cutting the stuff up in our family business, anything from tanks down to bren gun carriers, if my memory serves me well we got about £7 per tonne, but then wages were about £10 per week. Every day was a pleasure to go to work, you never knew what was coming in, some trucks would come in with anything from a Jeep to motorcycles or even hand tools, everything did not go for scrap, lots of parts were sold to third parties who had a use for them. We would send drive axles down to north Devon, the farmers put the axles under their trailers and fed a propshaft from the PTO to the axle, giving than trailer drive up the steep hills of North Devon. Searchlight trailers, minus the serchlight , they went to an agricultural machinery manufacturer in Lincolnshire to be converted into farm trailers and the list goes on.......... great days, great times for a young man ( My friend also worked with me, making the days work a lot of fun for us.)

I spent my late teens and early twenties cutting the stuff up in our family business, anything from tanks down to bren gun carriers, if my memory serves me well we got about £7 per tonne, but then wages were about £10 per week. Every day was a pleasure to go to work, you never knew what was coming in, some trucks would come in with anything from a Jeep to motorcycles or even hand tools, everything did not go for scrap, lots of parts were sold to third parties who had a use for them. We would send drive axles down to north Devon, the farmers put the axles under their trailers and fed a propshaft from the PTO to the axle, giving than trailer drive up the steep hills of North Devon. Searchlight trailers, minus the serchlight , they went to an agricultural machinery manufacturer in Lincolnshire to be converted into farm trailers and the list goes on.......... great days, great times for a young man ( My friend also worked with me, making the days work a lot of fun for us.)

Wow, goes to show that if we could go back with what we now Know, we'd be richer people. Mind you alot of it also comes down to where to store stuff, such as my old Morris Minor Traveller that I scraped, and my MK1 Mini that met the same fate, if only I had the space to keep it all.