Lorry sinks U boat

Rlangham

One of the most unusual events of WW1 was the sinking of U28, apparently by a flying lorry;

"U-28 scored a torpedo hit, and closed in to finish the steamer with gunfire. The shells detonated the Olive Branch's cargo of munitions, which it had been carrying from England to Arkhangelsk, Russia, and the subsequent explosion so badly damaged the U-boat that it sank along with the steamer. All 39 of its crew were lost; some were seen swimming, but were not picked up by the Olive Branch's lifeboats.[4]

An alternative description of the event states that when the ammunition detonated, a truck carried as deck cargo was blown into the air and fell from a great height on the U-boat, sinking it.[5]"

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_U-28_%28Germany%29

I don't suppose it would be possible to trace which type of lorries the SS Olive Branch was carrying, and determine what type of lorry was likely to have sunk the U28?

An amazing story, must have been a heavy truck?

This is a more deliberate act, but has always fascinated me:

On the morning of 23 June 1915 U-40 stopped the trawler Taranaki in the North Sea. Taranaki was in fact a decoy vessel, or "Q-ship", and was connected to the submerged submarine C24 by a combined tow line and telephone cable. When U-40 stopped the trawler, Taranaki telephoned the situation to C24. When C24 tried to slip the tow line, however, the release mechanism failed, and C24 had to manoeuvre into an attacking position with a hundred fathoms of chain hanging from her bow. Her commander, Lieutenant Frederick Henry Taylor, was able to adjust her trim and avoid fouling the chain in the propellers and fired a single torpedo that struck U-40 amidships. The U-boat sank instantly, only three men in the conning tower surviving to be picked up by the Taranaki.

The Germans complained to the British government about this underhand tactic

In total 11 U boats were sunk in this way for the loss of 61 British and French Ships

Edited by Charawacky

Dear insurance,

Relevant to my recent claim for a U Boat, I was not drunk at the time....

I'd love to belive this is true, but a lot of such stories were officially issued as 'gossip and rumour' during both wars to raise morale and as a cover for new devices. The classic one is the Second World War story of eating carrots to improve night vision. This stated as a cover for AI Radar.