HELP!! Modern day images of Normandy...

Jack

Folks.

I am just working on a new project and urgently need some help!

I need some modern day images of those below - from the same angle as near as possible - any help would be more than welcome and appreciated - would credit you and happy to pay for each image used (can't below I just said that). I need more from other iconic places but for now:

All taken at St Mere Eglise.

SMG2.jpg

SMG3.jpg

SMG4.jpg

SMG5.jpg

SMG6.jpg

SMG7.jpg

Cheers!

JB!

Not when Jack is having a 'Bad Hair' day! And Jack's bad hair days are spectacular! :D For the sake of peace, start going through the photo albums guys! Talk about history repeating. Now if Jack starts suggesting a 'Holiday Photo' competion....Could be answer to the EEC, the Euro Crisis, and the French customs attitude to Military Vehicles! :trustme:

After all bettween us there are probably more AFV's owned than most armies, and the Logistic vehicles to support them.. Pinch a few rowing boats... Uhum, perhaps time I went for lie down.

You took the very words out of my mouth Tony:-D What happened to the pics you took of St Mere Eglise and posted on here some time ago Jack?

I have loads but I really need them from that angle.......... :banghead:

I think the inferior quality would totally spoil any 'before and after' effect. Get yourself on a ferry and take some schnapps snaps.

Yeah I might have to do that but up against a deadline.

Here's teh question - if I have downloaded the original images off the net - my grahics designer dude said the are good enough - would it be the same as street view - or am I being a complete idiot (don't have to answer the last question).

Can you not google earth them with the street view and capture image via that?

OK Jack I'll have to eat my words and acknowledge that Rick's idea is a good one. Have just looked at images for this town and the quality is really good - but the viewing angle is a bit high as you can see. Also no idea on permitted reproduction of this data:

St Mere.JPG

May also be worth doing some sort of search on Flickr? Dont really use it myself, but you can get to ask the photographer for permission to use their pic. If I google earth our village it comes up with photos of various parts, Im fairly sure the photos are flickr related.

Google Sreet View, no good whatsoever, the lazy mans way of doing Then and Now comparisons. I have been on this T&N caper for 40 odd years on the old Western Front. The Now photographer needs to stand on the exact spot, give or take a yard and take numerous shots, one of which is selected in comfort of ones armchair by the fireside.....

There is no empathy with the subject unless you are on the ground looking at the location with the old fashioned Mk1 eyeball.

I was initially thinking of streetview.

Not so much as getting the image you want. After all it might be a different angle and there are probably copyright issues.

But it could help identify the location, if a picture is even possible. After all thet nice building might now be a hypermarket aisle 4 to be precise.

If you know the location, street, building it is possibly easier to trace a picture or get one taken.

Advance warning is always good of course.

Mike

Google Sreet View, no good whatsoever, the lazy mans way of doing Then and Now comparisons. I have been on this T&N caper for 40 odd years on the old Western Front. The Now photographer needs to stand on the exact spot, give or take a yard and take numerous shots, one of which is selected in comfort of ones armchair by the fireside.....

There is no empathy with the subject unless you are on the ground looking at the location with the old fashioned Mk1 eyeball.

I agree entirely - without the exact same viewing line it doesn't work. Sorry Jack - get your overnight bag packed.