Basic Bedford MJ load volume ?

nik52

Question

Hi !

Researching for my story, I've established that a cargo-style Bedford MJ, no crane, has a load bed which is 2.43 metres, 7'10" wide and 4.3 / 14' + change long.

Two dimensions I have not been able to find are the load-bed height, and headroom to the 'eaves' of the canopy hoops, the latter in maximum position rather than reduced for air-freight...

I've estimated six feet headroom, but I could be over or under by an embarrassing margin. I appreciate that hoops allow a bit more height nearer the middle, but I'm after the clearance --or not-- of a 7-foot width, boxy load-out.

( The extra inches would be taken up by several 8'x4' sheets of marine ply, to serve as floor-boards in the laboratory tent... ;- )

Any ideas ??

Thank you.

4 answers to this question

I cant give you exact figures as my MJ is 200 miles away at the mo, but the bed is about my shoulder hight (I'm 5' 10") so about 5' and I would gues at 6' 6' for the canvas as there is plenty of room for me to stand up in there.

Hope this helps.

One serendipitous spin-off from these dimensions is that 'basic' food for four months for the 18 team just fits into the first 8 feet of the bed, leaving ~6 feet for serious nosh, a modest supply of beer and plenty of pickles...

:laugh: