Gear box oil

thedawnpatrol

Question

9 answers to this question

I have noticed that the oil in my gearbox (HUMBER 4X4) is of a whiteish milky consistancy, slightly frothy when run ?

The Transfer box oil is fine, as is the Engine. why would this be ?

Cheers

Jules

Hi Jules,

Not knowing what oil you might have in the gearbox and for how long it has been in there, makes it difficult to comment, but my first thought is water could be present, which may well be condensation if not been changed for a long time.

we had the same problem with our ferret when we bought it, the engine oil in the gearbox looked like salad cream, where moisture emulsifies with the oil and the EP90 in the final drive was a rusty foamy liquid. we changed both and 3 years later both still look clean. I know the ferret had spent many years idle. It pays to check everything on a newpurchase

regards mick

THanks Guys, yes it stood for a while and must have got moisture in, i'll change it at the weekend.

cheers

Jules

we had the same problem with our ferret when we bought it, the engine oil in the gearbox looked like salad cream, where moisture emulsifies with the oil and the EP90 in the final drive was a rusty foamy liquid. we changed both and 3 years later both still look clean. I know the ferret had spent many years idle. It pays to check everything on a newpurchase

regards mick