In a wheel spin...

Redherring

The bead can be broken by a large bead breacker if you know a friendly gagrage. As for the rims, there is a method, which will have many screamining (Rightly) NOOOOOO! But, let all the air out of the tube and remove the valve. Undo all the split rim nuts , then put them back on about 1/3. Place the tyre and rim in a large open space, attach a long air line, with the air trigger taped open on valve. Standing well back start comresor and wait for bang. Its important that thetyre valve is out and you can release the air line from the compressor to deflate before you go back to it.

My problem is corrosion. Though rust is not obvious on the outside of the wheel, there is sufficient corrosion between the rims to lock them solid. Four of the wheels come from a 'paddock' truck where the original runflat tyres have totally worn out. And so are unable to be inflated - not that I am keen to try that method; I just viewed the video referred to above!

Hacking off runflats with a saw is no easy task. I did wonder whether I should drop the lot into a vat of molasses and leave them for a few weeks?

Any thoughts on that?

Robert

Stick them in the back of the UTE and haul them to the nearest 30 t excavator you can find working. Slip the guy a few bob and get him to break the tyre beads off the rims each side with the bucket teeth. You can then start working on the rims to free off.

I don't think marinating in molasses before sticking them on the barbie will make them taste any better :-D

p.s. Adrian's method works well - and if you take your time it isn't too bad a job. Nice heavy angle - say 2" x 2" x 1/2 or 3/8 will do.

Edited by N.O.S.

The gadget I borrow is an Ex Germany army bead breacker. It's compressed air and fits into the centre of the wheel then various arms and wedges are attached. That works extremley well. The best thig for breacking the muck seems to be diluted ordinary washing up liquid. Boiliong water /detergent mix works quite quiclkly.