RB44 and military landrover parts

majorweld

Hi all

new to the world of military vehicles , i have many other classic cars and motorcycles but ever since TA service ive fancied something less fragile so went mad on the withams tender and bought a a RB44 comms a 110 landrover and a brand new recon j60 jag engine for my lawnmower project...... joking . just need a cheap CRVT or FV now ??

i got a few oibvious jobs on the RB to sort , broken headlamp , non functioning indicators ? etc , dead batterys , how to start it etc ??

wheres the best place to go for parts ?

also technical info , i see someone on fleabay selling rb44 manuals on CD ? any good .

cheers for now

How does it work if i wanted to reinstate all the radio equipment in the truck ? has anybody pics and details of what went where ? most of the racks are still in situ ?

And can i have all the radio/comms kit working ? or is this impossible ??

told you i was new to this.

kind regards

Re- the manual for the RB44 try http://www.dodge50.co.uk/ and get it for free.

XMOD, Lichfields and Crouch recovery all have some parts for them, but not many.

Some parts are harder to find than others but being as the vehicle is a "bitsa", axles are modified yank pick-up axles, body work is based on Dodge day vans from the 80's etc etc. there are many crossover parts.

Hi Shane

There was a canvas thing in the back ? not sure how it works though , zips onto somewhere ?also had a load of cam net bowl things . small world isnt it .

i couldnt get up there to see it so blind bid , im hoping i was lucky . not had proper drive in it yet .

quick question , is the steering meant to be very stiff at standstill ? i can see power assistance /hydraulics on the steering box , seemed all right going along the road , but try turning it when near stopped it was heavy heavy ???

looking forward to getting it on the road , im not sure if its a good idea to rip all the electronics out the comms body for my camper conversion or try and get it all back to original ? is that possible to have working radios ? or are the military still using that system ?

best wishs

Rich

Radio's you can have the back fitted out with the original bits a pieces but you cannot transmit or listen without the appropriate licence.

As for buying spares as has been said a great many parts can be found on ebay and the other companies already mentioned. Front wheel cylinders are Dodge 50 3/4 inch, seals can be bought on ebay from pastparts. Headlights will be Landrover which is a standard part 12 volt for the most part.

Yes from standstill the steering is can be heavy

It would be a good idea to empty all the fluids and replace with fresh as the vehicle could have been sat somewhere for last couple of years. Also grease up the prop shafts as this seems to be a common problem.

Edited by ferrettkitt

quick question , is the steering meant to be very stiff at standstill ? i can see power assistance /hydraulics on the steering box , seemed all right going along the road , but try turning it when near stopped it was heavy heavy ???

Rich

Steering is very heavy when idling, definitely needs a little throttle to turn, careful when cornering, don't take your foot of the throttle.

well , been wondering why it wouldnt start last 2 days , batterys (2 x 12v ) were dead , but i got a bit of charge in them and another good battery to jump , still clicking and struggling to turn over .......... decided to by pass the ignition stick the leads straight onto starter , she started in a split second .

basically stripped the starter motor and cleaned it all up , the pre engage solenoid seems very lazy ? i done everything i could to it , clean up , lube etc but im reckoning on having to replace it .

when engine was running it was nice to hand throttle and switch the big engine driven generator on to power up the comms pod , great to have all the lights up and working , the heater and fans . awesome .

so far i need ...

cab heater switchs

flasher (indicator) unit

starter solenoid

soon 4 tyres

gas for the cold starter injector thing or ether ? whatever it does

drivers side headlamp

cheers