forum trip?

there have been a few forum based trips over the last few years which have been very enjoyable such as Overloon to the Marshall museum and Liberty park and Uxbridge fighter command control room and was thinking the other day it could be time for another.

what do others think? where would people like to go and remember group visits can have the bonus of entry to areas not normally accessible to the general public.

I organised the Uxbridge trip which involved a few phone calls ,a few posts on the forum and compiling a list of names for the mod police so there neednt be loads of work

so over to you ,where we going folks ? Ill kick off the suggestions with Battery Todt Calais and the V1 sites nearby

Nigel

a coach might work if enough want to go but if mr Ives does decide to come it might be nice if he didnt have to work as he normally seems to end up working and missing out on the fun on forum events,of course thats only my opinion he may love driving us all round for a couple of days.To be honest it is so cheap on the tunnel fo a car and passengers I think a few shared cars would be most economical,I can take land rover disco so would have space for up to 3 passengers

Nigel

ps another option for a future trip could be east Kirkby Lincs aviation museum

If you do the Batterie Todt Museum then make sure you visit the the other three casemates which are open to the public but are not museums. One is a bat sanctuary but is intact, one is completely destroyed and one is stunning because inside the lower galleries there is a lot of original German artwork - but you will need boots and headtorches. Go after the summer when the flora has cut back. There are some really good CWGC cemeteries between Audinghen and Calais. I can't remember the big one off hand, but it is near Sangatte. It has a WW2 plot but the majority are WW1 and include all the colonial Labour Corps varieties we Brits lured out to clear up the battlefield. Between Calais and Boulogne is a Canadian WW2 cemetery, only small, but is for the men who died during the siege of Calais in 1944. RIP.

Eperlecques is good fun, totally random, but has to be seen. I have been to Mimoyecques in winter and sneaked in. It is a bit odd. I haven't been to La Cupole.

If you choose to go to Ypres, the vista changes completely. It can be done in a day. But, if you decide to stay the night there are a couple of decent hotels which my ailing brain refuses to let me remember. One begins with A - really good and caters for big parties. (Sorry, but this thing is taking this important stuff away and dropping it back at odd times.) Anyway - I think you might be better to organise yourself round Calais. If you aren't too big a group, the little café/restaurant next to the Batterie Todt (in a wooden building) does a mean steak or a moules frites for a very fair price and will do a group. Call in before you do the museum and sort a time with the guy. He is cool. Or do the Café de Paris in Calais by the old lighthouse. If you haven't had a Flammekeuche you haven't lived, with frites of course and beer etc etc etc etc etc...get fat.

La Cupole I found a bit of a dissaponitment. It is more a NASA love fest than anything military. There is an intresting set of bits and bunkers in the middle of Calais, but I never managed to get there. Not to mention the older forts around the palce. These had there places in both wars. Gogle Earth is the tool and lok for the Star outlines.

what about cadburys choclate world ! :red:

:rofl:

There is the military fair in Belgium at Ciney one Sunday in October. Don't know much about it, can anyone advise suitability for trip?

More of a money drain than an educational trip!!!

Edited by N.O.S.