Importing, registering and costs!

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I have been on here, been very busy with University and the ol'archaeology.

I have a question which I'm sure someone will know the answer too, so here goes.

I have the crazy idea in my head of buying a 1940's USA truck, although this is not a MV, I hope that the process is roughly the same so you can help.

* How much does it cost to import something around the size of a landrover?

* what's the deal with VAT/import costs?

* How would I register something with the DVLA so that it still stands as a 1940's truck and its exemptions.

Anyone had any recent experiences with such process and the costs and hassles, or is it quite easy?

Is the registration much like an MV, prove its age of manufacture, etc.

Many thanks

Paul C

Been there, done ( most of ) that.

Things to know.

1. Buy something in the US with a title ( equivalent of our V5 / registration ) without that, much hassle though it can be done.

2. Spend not too much, and not too little. It'll cost maybe £2000 to import something like that, so your purchase must be worth more than that or you are using up money ..... but ..... the more you spend, the more you will pay on Customs duty and VAT, which will be levied on the total cost, including shipping, etc, etc. I'd suggest around a £3000 vehicle maybe unless you are rich.

3. Using a proper shipping company ( Kingstown Shipping in Hull - ask for Alan, Steve, or Mark and tell them Gordon sent you ) They can do local uplift in the US, all the shipping, transport, and local delivery to you.

4. Make sure you get the bit of paper ( I think it is a C&E 386 or something like that ) which shows that you have imported something with that chassis number and paid the import taxes. Without that bit of paper - hassle with registration.

5. Get the seller to buy, or take delivery of, critical spares you'll need. Spare engine? glass ? instruments? even tyres and so on. You'll never get it shipped cheaper than bringing it in the back of the truck when you purchase it.

Anyone else got good hints?

Thank you everyone for the fast and very imformative replies.

The vehicle i'm looking to buy is a Chevrolet 1941 COE.

It would be in unrestored state, so pretty much a rolling chassis with body parts.

I did read somewhere that if you're importing something of historical significance that it was reduced VAT, so I assume that's what you mean by 5%.

The vehicle is only worth around £1500, so with import duties & logistics I would be looking at around £3500.

I plan to restore it to original spec on the exterior and only change the running gear to something modern that is plausable to use.

When it comes to registering something of such age, I assume there are clauses about how much can be modified?

IE: Original chassis, engine, axles etc.

Too much straying from an original I would suspect the DVLA would be unlikely to give age related plates...

Would such vehicle be exempt from plating and testing, much like UK historic class?