GREASE NIPPLES

Guest JeepJockey

Guest JeepJockey

Hi Guys, Can anyone give me advice. I've been doing the usual pre season repairs, checks and lub to my jeep.

Whilst greasing the nipples I've found the two front U-shackle bolts very hard to push through any grease, whilst the others ooze clean grease perfectly. The nipple is clean and working and no air pockets in the gun. Grateful for any help.

What's more, how does grease get between the bushing and the shackle U-bolt as these are threaded together, I guess any movement is taken up in the theaded section. For the really clever grease monkeys out there why do we have left handed threaded U-bolts on opposing corners on the vehicle.

Thanks,

Paul

Guest JeepJockey

Thanks everyone,

If I use anymore pressure on the gun, like Enigma I think my hose will blow too.

I had a thought that if the grease has hardened then perhaps some gentle heat with a blow torch may melt it.

In the meantime I'll try G503, what does that number mean?

Thanks,

Paul

G503 is the US designation code for a Jeep

All American Vehicles had a code of some description WC54 is the Dodge Ambulance WC57 the Command car and so on

And yes I would highly recommend going on http://www.g503.com for any help you may need

cheers

Chris :-)

Sort of.... The G number is the Standard Nomenclature List Group number. Every US vehicle had one. Jeep is indeed G503, Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 is G502. This includes all 3/4 ton models. The WC 54 etc is the Dodge code. Some other useful ones are G508 GMC, G509 Diamond T 4 ton, G159 Diamond T 12 ton, G104 Sherman, G102 White Halftrack, G147 International Halftrack. It's handy to know a few of these when you're looking at packed parts as it's often the only indicator on the wrapping.

For the really clever grease monkeys out there why do we have left handed threaded U-bolts on opposing corners on the vehicle.

Thanks,

Paul

The reason for the left hand thread in those two spring eyes is for ease of installation. Look at the spring eye and you'll see it curls clockwise or anti clockwise. The shackle will screw in the opposite direction to the spring eye. If the shackle srewed in the same way the spring eye curled, friction would make it close up and make it extremely difficult/impossible to install. Turning the oppposite way makes the eye open slightly easing installation.

My my aren't I a clever bunny :banana:

Guest JeepJockey

Thanks guys, I'll sleep tonight knowing the answer to all those niggling questions.

And the grease, that shifted with a little heat on the shackle to draw the the old hardened grease out.

Regards,

Paul

The reason for the left hand thread in those two spring eyes is for ease of installation. Look at the spring eye and you'll see it curls clockwise or anti clockwise. The shackle will screw in the opposite direction to the spring eye. If the shackle srewed in the same way the spring eye curled, friction would make it close up and make it extremely difficult/impossible to install. Turning the oppposite way makes the eye open slightly easing installation.

My my aren't I a clever bunny :banana:

And when you come to unscrew it........? ;-)

Hi Guys, Can anyone give me advice. I've been doing the usual pre season repairs, checks and lub to my jeep.

Whilst greasing the nipples I've found the two front U-shackle bolts very hard to push through any grease, whilst the others ooze clean grease perfectly. The nipple is clean and working and no air pockets in the gun. Grateful for any help.

Thanks,

Paul

Heat is the answer to your question,I've cleared several bushes and shackles with a little heat and some movement. The trick is to know how much heat ,a little but often is the key so you gradually warm up the shackles etc.It's worked for me even on the most stubborn of bushes .

Regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JeepJockey

Thanks Chappers, you're spot on.

That's what I did, a little heat on the U shackles and movement on the nut finally shifted many years of hardened grease.

Ta Paul :-)