Registration number and year of issue

andreadavide

Question

17 answers to this question

Military registration numbers are assigned by contract date and not year produced. If the contract was placed in CC for example but deliveries were over several years they would all be xx CC xx but the DIS for the vehicles could be very different.

Chris

my reg makes it 72/73 as does the chassis number

BUT

land rover didn't record it to 76 :dunno: according to them

i asked what happened in the 3 years it "sat" around but :dunno:

sirhc any ideas, i understand about the contract thing but mine seems to be a bit long from contract being placed to made! any ideas or is three years about right

Mine's similar - having an ET reg would seem to place it in 1967 yet the service records from Beverley (as was) indicate she came into service in 1968!!

Close enough to verify Chris's point of the letters indicating the date the contract was first placed whilst the service records indicate the date the vehicle was delivered??

You just need to look at the FD series to see how many years difference there can be. FD is 1970-71. I have a Sabre (Scorpion hull) with a DIS of 1973 and a Fox with a DIS of 1975 and both are FD registrations.

It might be possible that L/R allocated chassis numbers when the contracts were placed but it does sound like a mistake to me. Either that or someone swapped the dataplate to try and get free tax..

Chris

me thinks it might be a mistake :oops: nothing else about the dates would make sense as its Oct 73 so not take free :cry:

this all came about as she was released in 86 and i wanted an age related plate so i phoned LR to get confirmation of her build and they said

"oh thats Oct 73"

so now I'm in the process of getting said plate :|

cant believe a great British company like LR makes mistakes :whistle:

Hi Richard

Am finding a little disparity with the list regarding my Saladin.

Date in service is 1967 but if one goes by the reg number it should have been 1965

Any ideas mate?

I'd guess that the vehicle was built, painted and registered in 1965 then sat in a vehicle depot for two years before being issued to a unit. How's that?

mind you mine is FM which makes it 72/73 which according to Land Rover is right BUT the DVLA say 76 :?

We had 77FM51 on our books (B Sqn 15/19H) in 1975 (I drove our OC in it in 1976). Believe me, it was a LOT older than 1976. In facts the words "junk" and "heap" come to mind.

Only B Vehicle I ever signed for and boy was I glad to get back on armour.