Who has a Spartan they would like to part with

corporalholmes

How crap is this, Wilthams is having a tender sale and there is a few cvrt spares that I was hoping to get, including a few engines, but you can't bid on anything unless your in the UK, and also apparently you can't bid on anything unless you go and see it, so other than asking someone from this forum or someone going to the auction to have a look at stuff and bid for me, how do people buy spares?

With reference to retiring the current CVR(T) fleet I think it will be some time away.

My current fleet known as CVR(T) 2 has been upgraded a fair bit to make them more useable in theatre, it includes engine, gearbox, seats and a few more items. And I know of another 2 modifications on the way.

And dont forget the handbrake mod! Thats why most of the Stormers coming out of withams have no handbrake levers...:D

The 572 page user manual I ordered has rocked up, I think the illustrated parts manual will be the next thing, is there anything else people think I should get, reference wise that is, I got a shipping quote for RoRo to Fremantle and I think it will be all up around AUD$5000, but to ship it in a sea container will be about AUD$3000, but he mentioned that I'd need to strengthen the floor of the sea container if I were to go down that route, any one heard of having to do that?

My handbook reckons (for a Spartan)

16' 0 1/2" long

7' 3" wide

7' 4" high over mg mount

This site: (quick search)

http://www.sjonescontainers.co.uk/dimensions.htm

reckons a standard 20' container is (internally)

19' 3" long

7' 7" wide

7' 9" high

I certainly wouldn't like to drive it in!

The door is probably the issue @ 7' 5" high and 7' 6" wide

It would be tight but might go, they also have 20' high cubes though that are a foot higher.

I wouldn't have thought about 8 tons would be a problem, 20' are meant for heavy stuff more than 40' aren't they?

EDIT: this site

http://www.tasbulk.com.au/shipping-containers/20-ft-containers/90

reckons a 20' high cube door is 129mm wider than a Spartan and 349mm higher

weight wise it can take 28 tons so 8 shouldn't be an issue

Mike

Edited by matadormike

I'm starting to like Jackson's less and less, is it common knowledge that you can get an extra high 20' container, or are Jackson's just rip off merchants, can anyone recommend a service manual for a spartan, I've seen this (http://www.ekmpowershop5.com/ekmps/shops/greenmachines/cvrtall-variantsuser-handbook2nd-editioncvrt-164-p.asp) and am wondering if it will have normal service manual stuff ie, sequence of pulling stuff apart and putting it together again, bolt torque settings, what oils and greases to use etc.

Also a manual for the electrics, with wiring diagrams etc

I'm starting to like Jackson's less and less, is it common knowledge that you can get an extra high 20' container, or are Jackson's just rip off merchants, can anyone recommend a service manual for a spartan, I've seen this (http://www.ekmpowershop5.com/ekmps/shops/greenmachines/cvrtall-variantsuser-handbook2nd-editioncvrt-164-p.asp) and am wondering if it will have normal service manual stuff ie, sequence of pulling stuff apart and putting it together again, bolt torque settings, what oils and greases to use etc.

Also a manual for the electrics, with wiring diagrams etc

You want a user manual for the basic stuff, EMERS for the j60, and illustrated parts listings are also useful, you need the cvrt common items one and there is also one for the spartan variant...there is also an electrical systems manual but the one i have is for scorpion which does for most stuff, not sure if there is a spartan one..

Mark at vintage mv manuals/green machine (per your link above) can do all of these and i have always found him very reliable...

To put it in perspective a mate has a challenger one and picked up a set of manuals for it earlier this year...something like 40 volumes and 6 foot long...!

My handbook reckons (for a Spartan)

16' 0 1/2" long

7' 3" wide

7' 4" high over mg mount

This site: (quick search)

http://www.sjonescontainers.co.uk/dimensions.htm

reckons a standard 20' container is (internally)

19' 3" long

7' 7" wide

7' 9" high

I certainly wouldn't like to drive it in!

I've reversed a Scorpion into one as an exercise on my H test course. Interesting! :-)

By the way, you don't need to be present at a Withams tender to bid, but you obviously end up buying sight unseen. I've bought two re-con FV430 gearboxes without ever leaving my computer, including organising Palletline to pick them up.

Andy

Good to know about the wilthams thing as I might need to get spares from them, in regards to the container I think I might have to go the RoRo option due to the fact that I'll need to get it off the boat the get it to the engineers to go over it before I take it to get registered and don't really know what to do with the container in the meantime and considering I like 1600kms from wher the engineer is I think I may have trouble getting the container unloaded at my joint as I live rather remote, I have a friend that might be able to throw it on a trailer and drive to to my joint as is

That's a fair point, something I'll look into, another question that I'm not has been covered in other posts, what's meant by J60 A2 spec, what's change from the stock J60

Good to know about the wilthams thing as I might need to get spares from them, in regards to the container I think I might have to go the RoRo option due to the fact that I'll need to get it off the boat the get it to the engineers to go over it before I take it to get registered and don't really know what to do with the container in the meantime and considering I like 1600kms from wher the engineer is I think I may have trouble getting the container unloaded at my joint as I live rather remote, I have a friend that might be able to throw it on a trailer and drive to to my joint as is

With my Ferret it was unloaded from container at Brisbane and agent organised a tilt tray to deliver.