Looking to buy a Kraz / russian mv

Hi All,

I have been thinking about buying a Kraz 255 or similar for a while. There were a few on ebay etc about a year ago that I missed, just not daring enough with the 'bid' button....

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, particularly if anyone on here has one?

I've not had any big vehicles like this before. I have landrovers and tractors and they are great, but I love the Russian MVs.

Dont know if I would be getting myself into a world of trouble? My main worry is buying one, it breaks down and I cant get any parts. I also dont have an endless supply of money (partly hence the attraction to russian iron as it seems to be alot of machine for your money).

Assuming no-one has put me off, the next question is where to buy one? I keep my eye on ebay and mil-web. So far nothing. I'm a bit about approaching the various people who offer to import one, alot of unknowns there it would seem.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Edited by je1640

Get yourself over to Russian Truck Forum! Loads of us on there to help and answer questions. Also the russian suppliers frequent on there. Trapper ind, and Duncan from Tanks for sale.

That Ural has been for sale for a while now, just wont drop the price for it to be snapped up.

Ive only got a Uaz, and worked on Gaz 66's, but they are simple to work on, need a good major service, then good to go. Except for all the russian rubber seal are crap!

Pete

There was one for sale at Ashdown Camp, Evesham, seen a couple of weeks ago. Was a fifth-wheeler, that's removed, and now has a pod on the back. Been for sale for quite a while now. Bit pricey, but at least it has full UK brakes upgrade.

There was one for sale at Ashdown Camp, Evesham, seen a couple of weeks ago. Was a fifth-wheeler, that's removed, and now has a pod on the back. Been for sale for quite a while now. Bit pricey, but at least it has full UK brakes upgrade.

Jim has sold that Kraz & bought a radio bodied Kraz.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll head over the the other forum when I get a moment. Just had a brief glance and there seems to be some interesting reading over there. Its quite re-assuring that there is a dedicated forum too.

I have seen the Ural on ebay, but I think it is too new for me to drive on a cat B car licence. Looks like a nice truck though.

dmetalmiki, I have sent you an email.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll head over the the other forum when I get a moment. Just had a brief glance and there seems to be some interesting reading over there. Its quite re-assuring that there is a dedicated forum too.

I have seen the Ural on ebay, but I think it is too new for me to drive on a cat B car licence. Looks like a nice truck though.

dmetalmiki, I have sent you an email.

if you are going to drive an 11 ton or more truck you need to get your licence upgraded. Not only will it make you a safer driver, it will make you more aware of the dangers of driving a big vehicle on the road and ensure you know the rules for big vehicles.

The Kraz is over width, but was manufactured from 1959...very early pre-production models...there seem a lot of these in the UK...I think some were collected a long time ago by BUDGE.

The kraz is generally reliable, but you need to ensure all oils and seals are good....the bodywork is metal over a wooden frame which has a tendency to rot....this menas the cab will eventually fall apart...but its an easy fix and the woddwork is not difficult.

they are goodish engines and have been used in almost everything, MTLB, KRAZ, Kirovets tractor etc...they are not very refined but strong and reliable. They will run on just about anything...from old engine oil to std diesel, paraffin and petrol included although I would always advise that petrol is diluted 50/50 with diesel before being used...

I do not have a KRAZ but i do have the two of those engines, one in the MTLB and a spare...the spare is a bit sick at the moment so am trying to resurect it...

I would suggest a Zil131 or a Ural4320, or 375d as a first Russian truck but I do know of a Kraz for sale if you PM me...