Volvo C303,s did any of them see British military service??

Lord Burley

In small numbers. I have always liked them,as they are possibly one of the best off road vehicles you can buy and wouldn't mind buying a decent one.Thats if it hasn't rusted away already. I was wondering if they did see any service with UK forces as would like to do it in a British camo scheme.

the early models were trial by the british army they evern fitted a v8 rover engine in one they were trialing with rover axles why i dont no we had both at etw wing bovington landrover 101 and c303 volvos the volvo was the best but politics came into it

Having watched some of the videos of Volvo,s in actio,then its very much eveident that the off road ability far exceeds the 101. I have had three 101,s and to be honest i never thought thay were that great off road. To light on the rear end,and not enough axle articulation.

The C303 Volvo was submitted to a British military acceptance test in the early 1970's, run at the various FVRDE test facilities, I was employed to drive the Volvo on this test, It performed perfectly, completeing the test with no mechanical problems, at the same time Landrover were trialing the prototype 101, which susequently went through several design changes,, the contract was awarded to Landrover, no Volvos were ever in service with the British military, subsequently a Hawker Siddelly company bought the right to build the C303 in the UK using the Rover V8 engine, it was submitted for trials but never resulted in any British military sales

Edited by Nick Johns