tyre inflation explosion

Lauren Child

Nasty stuff compressed air. Have you seen the vidios of welding and heating rims with tyres on as well? Including the after effects of dragging a vehicle with a flat tyre, then re inflating? That really did scare the *** out of me! Something I'll never do again.

Pretty graphic......:undecided:

...there was a thread on here a while back about getting rock solid wheel nuts off and I admit to innocently suggesting warming them up a little with a lamp.....something which I freely admit to having done countless times in the past as well as, lamping wheel nuts off entirely whilst scrapping lorries over the years.

..I was very shocked to hear and then see a video of what can happen as a result... Warming any wheel up whilst an inflated tyre is on it, is very dangerous and could lead to a disaster...I'm happy to say that having been corrected I'll never do such a thing again but I guess it's these little things that we've probably all done at some time, that we get complacent over... and that's when accidents happen.....

PS:nothing to do with tyres but...

..I sit here typing this with 2 fingers in bandages as a result of an incident with an electric plane 2 days ago...:embarrassed:....complacency is the enemy for sure .

Problem is the damge can occur to a tyre whilst there isn't any air in it! The damage shows itself when you later inocently reinflate. As far as I'm concerned now any tyre subject to heat or being dragged is dumped straight away!

my dad lost a co worker in the early 90's thanks to a exploding tire. it was like a bomb going off and the poor man was scraped of the ceiling. i did have that in mind when i was orderd to pump up the missus her wheerchair at 10 bar. wish they had the safety cages as demonstrated back then. one life could be safed.

boeing 777 main wheels pumped up to 220 psi always taught to stand at side of tire whilst inflating, if one of those went and it would be wheel not tire letting go it would be a big mess!!!

Going back to the 60s. There was a poster showing a guy killed by an exploding tyre. He was imprinted in blood on the upper wall of the tyre bay. Soon after that inflation cages were produced.

As apprentices we were shown this by our training officer on a regular basis, along with the perils of welding fuel tanks and of course being Pratt's.

Like I said .....it's complacency that'll get you.....I've cut probably a couple of hundred lorries up in my time on the scrap game and I shudder a little nowadays to think what I did sometimes........I kid you not..

I once had the end of a cutting lamp blown completely off the gun when I was cutting a wagon chassis down to OA ...

the lamp flame blew through the chassis and had played all over a fuel filter (diesel) mounted inside the chassis rail as I cut through it.....there was an almighty bang (and I do mean almighty).... and the gun was wrenched out of my hand and flew across the yard..... I leapt backwards thinking " what the hell.....etc " (polite version :cool2:)....ran to the bottles , turned them off and then retrieved the lamp .... the nozzle was gone.....all that was left was the stainless steel tubes sticking out of the handle with no brass nozzle assembly on the end.......and that was diesel....not even petrol...

Not meaning to sound like a clown here......just admitting how easy things happen ....I have seen some bad accidents in my time on the scrap and demolition and it is always the things that fellas have done hundreds of times that bite them....like I said....complacency...you get used to the job and you've done it hundreds of times and......

In the 1950s one of our guys (inexperienced by todays standards) bowled a scrap car onto its side and proceeded to cut the petrol tank straps with the blow torch. He cut into the tank and there was one mighty explosion, he had his clothes blown from his body, his skin was impregnated with burning fuel and the skin was hanging from various parts of his body including the nether regions......... the man was lucky not to lose his life. I dont think that the stupidity rested with him, it was very much down to the lack of responsible management, who should have known better than to let an inexperienced individual lose with a cutting torch and a volatile liquid, H & S just plain old common sense really, but has we all know, common sense is not common. What undoubtedly saved the mans life was a quick thinking colleague who submerged him in water.......... putting water onto burns in the mid fifties was frowned upon by the medical proffesion, but I think that today its considered the right thing to do. Obviously the man was ahead of the medical people.

complancency is the big killer so threads like this are good memory joggers

I was reading somewhere not so long back of a guy using old fuel in a spray gun to clean parts and I used to do this years ago with AVGAS. When you think about it, gasoline in a fine mist form all over the place just takes one spark

What I really hate is when you think to yourself, "if I slip, this is going to f''king hurt" then you slip. I try to remember to listion to those thoughts :laugh: