B60 electronic ignition

fv1609

Has anyone fitted electronic ignition to a B60? I can see the advantage, no points to wear, not having to align two sets of points, better spark giving better economy & more power. reliability etc

But the only firm who seems to do a conversion kit charges £175. It is for a vehicle I intend to keep a while & of course I can alwatys transfer it to another vehicle. So I am looking longterm over a ten year period.

So has anyone forked out & done the conversion. Was it worthwhile or look as if it will be given the price of fuel will go up & up?

The other thought has anyone done a LPG conversion with a B60?

Worth speaking to John Appleton at Electrodiesels in Malton, he is a mine of general info .

01653 692145 will get you to them.

All types of auto electrical stuff and diesel pump injector work etc.

They are great guys and do most work in house.

Tim(1)

( Couple of hours now, this is a record for longest I have kept a promotion?) :lol:

Has anyone fitted electronic ignition to a B60? I can see the advantage, no points to wear, not having to align two sets of points, better spark giving better economy & more power. reliability etc

But the only firm who seems to do a conversion kit charges £175.

The other thought has anyone done a LPG conversion with a B60?

Hi Clive,

I have used Boyer Bransden inductive discharge units on a couple of m.v's and have given good results. I was thinking of trying one on a jeep and also a Rolls B at some point. They still use the points but with a minor current through them they do not burn. The info with them states that if the vehicle is an auto, then you will find the idle speed may need setting down after fitting. This tells you a lot....that combustion is better due to an improved spark. The only problem on a RR B is connecting it into the harness and also you would have to dispense with the 24v feed whilst the stater is in operation, as the units are 6/12v dual voltage. The price...was about £25. It is so cheap it is worth trying. The vehicles I fitted them to were a Bedford MW and an Austin Tilly, both improved and starting was good.

Regarding using LPG in a B60, were you aware that Rolls produced gas versions of these engines?

Kewelde

Ah I just emailed you but was caught mid message with a long phone call. Yes I built a home electronic ignition into the filter box on my LtWt, no optical chopper or clever stuff like that - this was 20 years ago. I just used the points to swich a power transistor. Although there would be no sparking at the points there is still mechanical wear of the contacts & the heels. But as you realise there is the question of synchronising both sets of points to content with unless one chops. But even a simple transistor will give a more rapid switching off & more rapid collapse of the field in the coil & therefore better spark.

The only people who do a kit AFAIK are in Malvern. It seems to be £175 for what ever vehicle you have. They seem familiar with B60s. But doing a search they seem to be the only ones & they were at "Malvern" last time but it was all bits of paper & talk. I would like to have seen what the module(s) is like for my money & how it went into the distributor. Or at least some nice piccies of an installation.

Clive

The only people who do a kit AFAIK are in Malvern. It seems to be £175 for what ever vehicle you have. They seem familiar with B60s. But doing a search they seem to be the only ones & they were at "Malvern" last time but it was all bits of paper & talk.

Clive,

I forgot about the system used to modify the Jaguar J60 engine, that was made by Lumenition.

Kewelde

Clive, if you're only looking for an improved system, i.e retaining the points to act as a switch, why not use the Maplins Kit, easy to build and small to hide. A simple 4 wire connection allows you to revert to norm if required. If you have a two point system then of course you'll need two kits, but at less than £15 a shot thats not too bad.

I've got one on the jeep and its really improved starting and has cut down on points maintenance too.

Check their webby, or catalogue.

If you're not into electronics I can knock it up for you.

Karoshi

Yes ok I'll look at the maplin site, I suppose one could get away with just one unit being fed with 2 inputs. Thanks for the offer of help, but wires & things are ok for me - have been a radio amateur since 1964 (G8ADP then G4MBS). At least electrical things you can stick a meter or scope on & see & measure whats happening. But I find the subtleties of engine/carb noises are black art that escapes me!

What I really need is one of these from a J60

opto.jpg

This one is defective the opto part (the top unit) has failed, I'm going to get the whole thing x-rayed & see whether the opto bit can be repaired. Just that little bit of it is £200 I believe!

• 4 weeks later...

Clive,

I am aware of Darrens problem with his luminition module, but they don't have to be expensive. I bought a brand new one on ebay for £2 because the seller didn't know what it was!

I have a couple of J60 distributors, and plan to try to fit the luminition gear into my Ferret. I have all the training notes and modification instructions, and can pass them on if required. I also have a source for complete distributors at a good price, better email me about that though!

Chris