Hercules Cycle and Motor Company: bicycles for British forces during WW2?

mcspool

Further to "Trade Pattern" and "Contractor's standard specification", I read that:

the English "Roadster" was the old-fashioned style of bicycle popular in the countryside. They usually had 28 x 1-1/2" wheels with Westwood rims, long cranks and long wheelbases, and very shallow frame angles (68 degrees or less). Roadsters used "roller-lever" brakes operated by rods. Roadsters were built for durability above all else, and were intended to be able to cope with dirt roads, cobblestones and unpaved footpaths, with a bare minimum of maintenance. No serious attempt was made to save weight in their design or construction. They are often pictured as the mounts of policemen and rural letter carriers.

With those design requirements in mind, I understand why the military ordered "trade pattern" roadsters - they fitted the bill for a sturdy bike perfectly.

Further to "Trade Pattern" and "Contractor's standard specification", I read that:

With those design requirements in mind, I understand why the military ordered "trade pattern" roadsters - they fitted the bill for a sturdy bike perfectly.

Hanno Old Bean !! and you take the rise out of me for for having a little J thing data at my finger tips :D:D

Pete the Toff

PS

all good stuff and very interesting, In a previous life the establishment where I was gainfully employed was sited on a war time RAF station and in 1946 it took over not only the infra structure but a lot of the hardware as well, this included several hundred Service push bikes from various manufactures which were still giving sterling service well into the 21st Century sadly most if not all ended their days in the crusher.

• 3 weeks later...
Hanno Old Bean !! and you take the rise out of me for for having a little J thing data at my finger tips :D:D

Pete the Toff

PS

all good stuff and very interesting, In a previous life the establishment where I was gainfully employed was sited on a war time RAF station and in 1946 it took over not only the infra structure but a lot of the hardware as well, this included several hundred Service push bikes from various manufactures which were still giving sterling service well into the 21st Century sadly most if not all ended their days in the crusher.

Well, Pete, my old chum, just read not only do you own a J thing but also fessed up having owned 2 weapons carriers and a LWB GMC! :shocked:

While I am trying to unearth some of your cycling heritage, you make me drool by bragging about having British Service push bikes at your disposal, furnished by the boss even :D

All joking aside, it might turn out bicycles were among the longest serving HMV's. Mine must have been in actual use for some 40-odd years before being disposed of.

• 2 years later...

This Hercules bicycle recently came to light after spending decades on an elderly gentleman's attic. When his house was cleared this bicycle was destined for the metal recycling bin, luckily someone put it aside and it is now in the hands of a collector (no, not me).

DSC01828.jpg

Noteworthy are the black rims, handlebars, pedals, luggage carrier etc. - everything except the frame and mudguards. To me this is a sign these bikes were built to an austere specification with most of the bits which would normally be chromed were painted black, and the rest in "service colour".

Hope this helps to restart this thread an more information on this subject comes to light.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @mcspool

Thanks for republishing that. Do you know the original author or source for the listings?

I have reorganised the listings into the more useful table below, which can be shared freely with acknowledgement.

image.png.b0a3a6a16ed92a84a4f86165298a417b.png

Below is a detail of the registration on RAF 261179, and Armstrong Gent's bicycle currently for sale on Milweb. I am currently unable to access the site, but will add the owner's name later.

image.png.ff1dbc68e9f89a898f443aeeceeeaeac.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1