RESEARCH FOR BOOK, Desert Storm 4 Regt AAC Detmold, RAF SE Fitter, Stolen Land Rover

zootog

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62032[/ATTACH]

Our new temporary home

After getting all the kit ready to move into our new home in the desert. I was in charge of a small 4 man RAF contingent of Survival Equipment Fitters, our prep was simple, slacken off all 4 Regt aircrews' flying helmets, so they could wear an AR5 Aircrew NBC Hood underneath the helmets,protection from Saddam's chemical/bio weapons, we needed to do this with the aircrew wearing the helmet. The 4 sqn's were deployed 25km apart, that's why I nicked 54 HG 12 - to do my job.

After the aircrews helmets were all slackened off, we didn't have a lot to do. So, as CRAB 1 was the only wheels I had for 4 men, I managed to secure squatting rights in an old binner. which we used as our cosy camper van.

Soon after getting into the desert berm, I managed to get 2 of the other 3 lads de-deployed to a Chinook sqn. I kept Kev as my personal body guard and minder. The other SAC was an idiot, so he was an easy choice to re-deploy, the other was a young corporal who was a good tradesmen, but he was constantly reading or writing blueys to his wife, I kid you not, one mail call he had 17 bluey's, always more than 5, many of the REME's weren't getting any and I could feel the resentment to all of us emanating from the pongo's (thats our name for Army). So as he was a drain or moral - he left too.

Me and the man mountain in CRAB 1, a bit cramped, so I scrounged the kit to make a roof rack........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62035[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62037[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62036[/ATTACH]

Sorry for the post resurrection, but some great pics and I do believe I'm in one of them :D

Suposedly intiated because the RAF blue uniform is the same colour as an ointment used to traeat personal irritating problems. :D ALB at South Cerney had a large crab as part of the road side base sign.

Don't you mean:- Sail Army! Fly Navy! Walk Sideways!!!

Artifficer

Reme

RAFA Kenley

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

1. The original RAF uniforms in Prussian Blue had been an export order for some of the Tsar's troops (if memory serves, the palace guard). After his overthrow, they were surplus and issued to the nascent RAF. As intimated elsewhere, the Prussian Blue closely resembled the ointment then being used for the treatment of crabs. I well remember, as alluded, Sail Army, Fly Navy, Walk Sideways, as I regularly sailed Army, and have a trophy collection to prove it.
  2. Your book might be better received this side of the pond if, instead of Desert Storm, you don't use the American designation and refer instead to OP Granby. Many a supposedly British Army photo has been outed as fake for using the term Desert Storm. I have a friend, ex Scots Guards, whose book ACAB, necessitated his registering with the US IRS before Amazon would release it on Kindle. Every year, he told me just last night, the IRS send him an invoice for tax on US Kindle sales, a big fat Zero.