Anyone with a No.7 Wrecker set? Usefull?

deadline

?........So, do you have any way to ID a 1940's era production No. 7 set?

I was hoping you were going to show us!!!! I don't know anything about the curve to angle you mentioned above - show us please:D

All I know is the later chain blocks, never seen any steelwork which was any different :undecided:

This is what I am talking about:

586b.jpg

The site calls it a 'bomb hoist' but it does not match the SNL-G-508's images.

Also the wrecker set seems to have a least TWO separate diagonal support beam ends. One 'droops' the other is straight.

Note the 'droop' at the ends of the diagonal supports

8e01243v.jpg

Note this is straight:

cckwset7_21_low.JPG

Different manufacturers?

The first photo looks post war to me, probably fitted in a Reo. I have seen the photo of the vehicle towing the jeep on a number of occasions, I think that the hoist is the same as the one in the last photo and the image is distorted.

Out of my depth here but it seems when you asked the original question you already made up your mind. As to its usfulness i think you are the only one who can make up up your mind. If you want it to depicte a particular truck age period then i can understand your posting which way are you going? regards tags. i think the way you asked the question has maybe given the rivet counters food for thought. So what you want to know what is perhaps ?? what kit do i buy for this period i am trying to recreate and how do i indentfiy it

I really don't have any information about the wrecker sets. I would buy one (useful or not) if it was proper and priced right. Just like I would by a MG mount, even though I have little use for one. My fear is paying to much for a part that is not period correct. If the part is post war, and I can prove it, I have more leverage in negotiations. I don't know the seller, so I cannot put much faith in his valuation.

I know the style and format of data tags changed post war (they were mostly steel and printed, not zinc and etched) but there could be some overlap, or one could be wrong.

All told with shipping it would be about a $3000 purchase. For that amount of money a bit of due diligence is warranted.

Shipping is a full 2/3rds of that. Of the two I know about the closest is 1100 miles away, the other about 1800.

Would be nice if there was one closer... but these seem to be uncommon in the US.

I could take the M35 out to get it... and spend about $1k in fuel. But at 45mph that's 48 hours of drive time.