Anyone with a No.7 Wrecker set? Usefull?

deadline

Mrs N.O.S. won't allow the GMC with No.7 set in the bed :-X

As the years march on it may become an essential item to be able get in and out of bed, you are not getting any younger you know.

Get it now before the prices go up :cool2:

Funny you should say that - for some reason I have two sets, and yes, I'm waiting till the prices go up :cool2:

I think you might have waited too long, scrap prices have fallen:whistle:

I think you might have waited too long, scrap prices have fallen:whistle:

To answer your question, Deadline - they are a most amazingly useful bit of kit, and become increasingly sought-after. I could not even begin to list the countless uses for them, but suffice to say once you get one you'll wonder how you ever managed without.

Novelty? More like Necessity! Get one at any price.:whistle:

To answer your question, Deadline - they are a most amazingly useful bit of kit, and become increasingly sought-after. I could not even begin to list the countless uses for them, but suffice to say once you get one you'll wonder how you ever managed without.

Novelty? More like Necessity! Get one at any price.:whistle:

Touche:rofl:

How far out of the back does it stick out? Any area's I should check that would make it just an ornament a workable unit?

Are there any tags I should look for???

At a guess about 3 to 4 foot but not measured that.

Workable unit ? that depends on if you need to use it. Its not something I would fit just to make the Gmc look pretty.

Not sure about tags :-(......if you need a "set seven" you need one.......if you want tags you probably don't

;)

Deadline - just check that the chain block is a wartime unit. It probably won't affect you in the USA unless you are looking at a re-imported truck or 7 Set, but many of the French and other European sets had replacement chain blocks which look slightly different. The original ones had very American names on such as Yale or Princetown (OK well maybe not Princetown but you get the drift :D).

Tags make or break some items. For example: Say WWII #7 has a cast brass plate and post war are steel. That strengthens the buyers position as its not a WWII item, just a post war one.

On most items you can add/lose a few hundred dollars just for factory tags alone.

At the least I would expect a tag for SN, DoD, capacity, manufacturer. How else would they get parts?

I've asked for pictures... we'll see what shows up.

Tags make or break some items. For example: Say WWII #7 has a cast brass plate and post war are steel. That strengthens the buyers position as its not a WWII item, just a post war one.

On most items you can add/lose a few hundred dollars just for factory tags alone.

At the least I would expect a tag for SN, DoD, capacity, manufacturer. How else would they get parts?

I've asked for pictures... we'll see what shows up.

So,to hell with the set no seven just buy the cast brass plate if that makes you happy :shocked:.

Ours has no plates and a later post war block...but did not cost us a lot of money and will make like much easier.

That's what I want to avoid... paying a premium WWII era price and not getting an original WWII era unit.

I know some of the obvious changes were made to the center support bar (the nice radius was removed in favor of a welded angle) but when did that change? The 50s?

As for tags and proper parts, that just to bargain on price. Gives me more room to negotiate.

I have a gantry crane in my shop, so I don't need a No. 7 set... but it would be a nice trinket.

So you would be happy to pay for something that is advertised as a Rolls Royce, but ends up being an MG Miget?

Let me rephrase it:

I don''t need a mixed mashed salad of parts that are not what they should be, nor ay a premium for a WWII part when its made in the 60's.

I'm sure you would have the same concerns if it were your money on the line.

So, do you have any way to ID a 1940's era production No. 7 set?