GREAT TIT s halt restoration projects

Jim Clark

Over the last few days we were amazed to find in and around our worshops and yard eight different breeds of birds nests. Consisting of Sparrow, Blue tit, Robin, Blackbird, Wren, Thrush, Great tit and a Wagtail all within a few yards of each other. Here are some photos I took of their locations.

The Robins nest is in our workshop in the rack of nuts and bolt, they dont seem bothered by our movements or the noisey equipment.

Birdnests001.jpg

Birdnests013.jpg

The Blackbirds nest is in the corner of our store shed.

Birdnests005.jpg

Birdnests006.jpg

The Wrens nest is in the roof of one of the M4 HSTs

Birdnests008.jpg

Birdnests007.jpg

The Great tit has made its home in the exhaust manifold of a Waukesha motor.

Birdnests011.jpg

Under the barrel of an artillery piece we found the Thrushes nest.

birdnests016.jpg

birdnests015.jpg

And last of all the Wagtail found a perfect spot in the corner of a Diamond T chassis

Birdnests010.jpg

Birdnests009.jpg

Jim.

Edited by Jim Clark

Check under the bonnets of any vehicles Jim, we have had a new tractor go on fire caused by a nest on the exhaust manifold. We check the tractors now and have found part built nests, small birds can get through the tiniest of gaps.

Nice collection of lodgers you've got there Jim, they work so hard don't they! All Scammell movement stopped here as well! Robins can't resist the rear end of an Explorer chassis, some years there have been four nests, and it has happened every where it has been kept over the years.

It seems inevitable that the Magpies will have them though as they are squawking in the trees nearby all the time.

A wood pecker has been drilling into the blue tits box as well, now reinforced, magpies having a go! It's a wonder any of chicks manage to survive at all..

DSCF5793.JPG

DSCF5777.jpg

DSCF5780.JPG

DSCF5783.JPG

Sorry to disappoint you pmw

Degsy , we always check vehicles and equipment for nests as the wildlife seems to love it around here.

Hi Bernard, you are right the Magpies are a pain but a .22 or 12gauge seems to even the odds a little. The nests are a work of art, each of them perfectly constructed.

Jim.

Sorry to disappoint you pmw

Degsy , we always check vehicles and equipment for nests as the wildlife seems to love it around here.

Hi Bernard, you are right the Magpies are a pain but a .22 or 12gauge seems to even the odds a little. The nests are a work of art, each of them perfectly constructed.

Jim.

Shame on you, Jim, a lot more activity around the restorations ought to do it! :angel:

Big bang on my window today, it was a magpie bashing a sparrow off the nut feeder, knocked it to the ground and flew off with, the carnage continues..all feeders now moved to within the hedges.

Our late neighbor used to shoot magpies with his 4.10, till his license was revoked, seems you're not supposed to do that in gardens.

Sorry about me having to edit the title of the thread. Google Ads was going nuts because of the wording :wow:

Sorry about the title Joris, I did think of useing the other birds names in the title but I thought Blackbird might have been racist, Wren may have upset the Navy, Thrush could have irritated someone, Robin would have started a police investigation. I suppose Wagtail might have been a better option.

Jim.

The so called bird experts would have you believe that the decline in the song bird population in Britain is entirely due to the use of pesticides. Whilst I would agree that the arable areas of the country may in the past have used a lot of pesticides that affected things times have changed. On the other hand large areas of the country have never seen any significant use of pesticides but the population has still declined to the point that you rarely see many birds that used to be very common when I was young. However the hawk and corvid families in this area have reached epidemic proportions and from my observations this has had a devastating effect on all the smaller birds.

Sorry about the title Joris, I did think of useing the other birds names in the title but I thought Blackbird might have been racist, Wren may have upset the Navy, Thrush could have irritated someone, Robin would have started a police investigation. I suppose Wagtail might have been a better option.

Jim.

Not a problem at all!!

Why on earth do all your bird names have such double meanings? :red:

The so called bird experts would have you believe that the decline in the song bird population in Britain is entirely due to the use of pesticides. Whilst I would agree that the arable areas of the country may in the past have used a lot of pesticides that affected things times have changed. On the other hand large areas of the country have never seen any significant use of pesticides but the population has still declined to the point that you rarely see many birds that used to be very common when I was young. However the hawk and corvid families in this area have reached epidemic proportions and from my observations this has had a devastating effect on all the smaller birds.

Agree entirely Degsy, been saying that for years, how often do you hear on TV/radio 'Where are all the chirpy little sparrows gone?' next breath 'How fantastic we just released umpteen Sparrow Hawks/Kestrels/Eagles into the wild today' They don't seem to get the connection!:nut:

We never saw a Buzzard round here till a few years ago, now there are loads, suspect it's the sweet little bunnys they're eating though, so that's OK.

'Experts' used to say only feed garden birds in the cold weather, now they say feed all year, all this does is concentrate the birds in one place, so they're easy to ambush!

In the great scheme of things the traditional gamekeeper played a big part in controlling numbers of predatory birds, which had a beneficial effect on the song/garden bird population. They (the gamekeepers) are now a dying breed themselves and the results around here are very noticeable.

So in a way you could argue the balance is actually approaching a natural one - it was 'controlled' by man for a long time. Mind you I know which way I'd like it balanced!