Canvas (tilt) tie downs

Johnh

Question

Well I noticed it has been some time since I posted my last 'Stupid question' so here goes;

whilst at the York MVT Crank-up I noticed on the other Reo's on display their tilt covers were tied down using a sisal/hemp type rope (mine has been bodged using paracord and spring loops) anyway as many of you will already know the tie down hooks on the side of the cargo body are more 'set up' to take the thicker stuff so....Thanks to Dale and Nick for my lesson on how to tie down in the future !!

where is the best place to source the right stuff (rope) ? also instead of splicing the rope What is the name for the fitting to make the 'eye' formed through the canvas ferrule ring and does it require a special tool to 'crimp' the join ?

Sorry for the poor description, but I am sure my stupid questions must amuse some members if not totally frustrate others, anyway, questions comments abuse ?

many thanks:red:

Edited by Johnh
forgot stuff

8 answers to this question

Sisal rope or string is available in good old fashioned hardware/ironmongers,i got my rope from a local one for my m416 trailer.the loops at ends are usually formed by weaving the strands together i believe,and heavy duty loops subject to heavy wear and strain would be protected by a rope thimble also at your local hardware store or ships chandlers,hope im on the right track.

Sisal rope or string is available in good old fashioned hardware/ironmongers,i got my rope from a local one for my m416 trailer.the loops at ends are usually formed by weaving the strands together i believe,and heavy duty loops subject to heavy wear and strain would be protected by a rope thimble also at your local hardware store or ships chandlers,hope im on the right track.

Thanks for your answer, I was hoping to get away from 'splicing' (weaving) in the rope. I was hoping someone could direct me to what and where I could get the what looks like mild steel 'crimp type' fittings to make the loops up with ?

Splicing is not difficult, if it looks a bit rough, well it's a feild repair. The Eyes AKA Thimbles, and cordage is easily available on line. The only other skill you need is how to Whip the ends to stop fraying. That means wrap a thick cotton round the end. There are plenty of nautical books will show you how to splice.

may be too late for you but I bought synthetic hemp rope to do my Morris as it is less susceptible to the elements but looks, feels and handles just the same

other suppliers doubtless exis,t but I got it from this one - very good service, next day delivery

http://www.ropesdirect.co.uk/synthetic-hemp-rope/cat_6.html

they also stock the thimbles

http://www.ropesdirect.co.uk/rope-thimble/cat_46.html

may be too late for you but I bought synthetic hemp rope to do my Morris as it is less susceptible to the elements but looks, feels and handles just the same

other suppliers doubtless exis,t but I got it from this one - very good service, next day delivery

http://www.ropesdirect.co.uk/synthetic-hemp-rope/cat_6.html

they also stock the thimbles

http://www.ropesdirect.co.uk/rope-thimble/cat_46.html

Thanks John ! not too late at all, busy down at the museum:red: