Is this a GMC Vehicle?

TeeELL

So,

here I am, shiney new member with an interest in WW1 armour. But I am trying to identify a vehicle used by 17 Field Sqn Royal Engineers, in Palestine during 1945.

Here is a photo of the vehicle in question:

Jeff003.jpg

I know the person 'behind the camera' as he was the passenger on this occasion, perhaps the soldier in the photo was the driver who managed to stick the vehicle in the ditch.

I have looked at a great many web sites trying to identify this vehicle - refered to by the Engineers as 'the GMC' at the time. It has some vague similarities to the White 4x4 scout car and the GM Canada 'Otter'. I am hoping that someone on here can give me a definative answer.

Over to you experts, with thanks

Tony

You were closer than you knew with the original question too.

Although based on the CMP Chevrolet they did need a bit more grunt to move them, so they were fitted with the same GMC 270 as the basic CCKW and DUKW power plant. I assume they used the Clarks 5 speed transmission too, although they may have stuck with the ( considerably lighter ) four speed found in the Chevrolet.

You were closer than you knew with the original question too.

Although based on the CMP Chevrolet they did need a bit more grunt to move them, so they were fitted with the same GMC 270 as the basic CCKW and DUKW power plant. I assume they used the Clarks 5 speed transmission too, although they may have stuck with the ( considerably lighter ) four speed found in the Chevrolet.

According to Bart they used the 4 speed box.

Thanks for all the information. All I had to go on was 'we called it the GMC' and, as I posted when I found the right vehicle by luck (I think I googled light utility vehicles WW2), I found more web sites than you can shake a stick at!! Ordered a book about the thing as I am going to have to scratch build one for his diorama. He drove Bedford QL, Morris commercial, Sherman and the GM Canada. Now I have to source some suitable wheels in 1:76 or 1:72.

• 1 month later...
Try Milicast. I think they do a resin kit. If not the C15, then certainly the Otter which probably has the same wheels.

Don't know about the availability of model kits but the C15TA and Otter used the same chassis and armoured front end.

For modeling purposes one could use a C15A 15-cwt truck chassis, as that's practically the same.

The C15 was used post war by both Denmark and Norway. Tomas Terrang Surplus Center in Gothenburg, Sweden, had one, a bit the worse for wear, for sale a number of years ago. That one was missing a number of parts, engine/gearbox for example. But they did have me mechanical parts from the regular GMC CCKW, the 270 engine for one, so not impossible to find parts for.

Goran N