Oman Saladin Restoration - Starting on the Hull

Fugly

The turret is mostly done, just need to track down a few bits for that , and have started work on the hull. The engine is already out so started stripping the hull down - I have been told time and time again that the hydraulic pipes cannot be trusted when they get old - so they are all coming out.As is the gearbox, and 99% of the internals.DSCF2457.jpg

DSCF2454.jpg

Any pictures of the turret? Was it complete with armament? Looks like the hull is coming on at a pace, envious!

Here is the turret - ( I did that first , and have completed the bowl since then , and its all together now) The main gun is live ( on a FAC) and breech is almost complete. I did the turret first to give me the incentive to finish the hull quickly !) > Its going to have NOS wheelstations, vevel boxes and a MOD recon engine.DSCF2564.jpg

DSCF2565.jpg

DSCF2562.jpg

DSCF2563.jpg

You are a brave man Jim. It does not look like a project for the Faint of Heart. Please take photos along the way for those of us who may never have the nerve.

To be honest , the hull should move forward in nice chunks so watch this space !!

Was talking to a mate of mine the other day, he spent some time in the Oman Armoured Car Squadron in the seventies and he was saying that they received some more Saladin from the UK at that time. He says that one was a vehicle he recognised from Bovington. The armoured wheeled troop at the RAC Centre had four of five Saladin that were withdrawn around 78 - 79. I know at least one of those ended up on Lulworth ranges but is seems one of them at least ended up in Oman. Are you going to have the vehicle as UK? Have you got the blade vane sight and the binocular mounting fitting?

Was talking to a mate of mine the other day, he spent some time in the Oman Armoured Car Squadron in the seventies and he was saying that they received some more Saladin from the UK at that time. He says that one was a vehicle he recognised from Bovington. The armoured wheeled troop at the RAC Centre had four of five Saladin that were withdrawn around 78 - 79. I know at least one of those ended up on Lulworth ranges but is seems one of them at least ended up in Oman. Are you going to have the vehicle as UK? Have you got the blade vane sight and the binocular mounting fitting?

I would like to speak to your friend if possible , this Saladin was number 81 and it appeared in Oman in the early 70's but seems to have been with the ADDF before that. Ask him if he has read " The tinned equivalent" an account of the armoured car squadron during the dhofar conflict? Send me a PM if he is interested in having a chat. Yes I have a blade sight, needs blasting and fitting.

Have been battling with the suspension today.

• 3 months later...

After waiting for weeks for the rain to stop, at last the shotblasting has been done so I can proceed a bit further . The shot blasting was done by Martin Summers from Uttoxeter ( Highly recommended). The wheelstations are all beiong replaced so it was not worth blasting them . During blasting I found a 1968 date on one of the hull plates, adding more evidence to a late 1960's build date.SALADIN INTERIOR BLASTED.JPG

SALADIN BLASTED AND PAINTED.JPG

SALADIN BEING BLASTED.JPG

SALADIN BLASTED 2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Fugly.

I'm just about to do some mantinance work on Saladin as I've a bad oil leak from the Transfer Box. Looking at my vehicle I thought I was going to have to take out the two center wheel stations so as to move the center bevel boxes and get the T/box out. But looking at your photo's it looks as though they are still in place whilst you have managed to remove the Gearbox with the Transfer Box still attached ?. Please could you enlighten me and how much of a 'Work' up is it to remove the Turret ??.

Many thanks Danny.

• 2 weeks later...