What make/ model / age ? 6x6

G-CPTN

A.E.C. / F.W.D. of about 1934, survived at Somerset Lumber Mills, Crewkerne well into the 1960s and then bought for preservation. Now resides at IWM Duxford. A similar vehicles survived with Traylens Amusements in the travelling fun fair business into the early 1960s around south London and although a note was left in the cab about possible interest in preservation of the vehicle it was only found after most of it had already been broken up.

Richard Peskett.

I have two original photos of the FWD R6T truck, the predecessor to the AEC version, dated 1928 and here are the scans. These appear to be shot at the FWD factory in Clintonville, Wisconsin. Other than a penciled date of 1928 on the reverse of one, I have no other context.

FWD R6T-2.jpg

FWD R6T-1.jpg

Thanks, Richard. Alas it may be a while before I get to see that 1963 article, but I'll watch for it. I have some tidbits of info here and there. Clarification please: Is it "Old Motor and Vintage Commercial" or simply "Vintage Commercial." I founf some copies of the former on eBay... agonizingly 1963, starting 10/63. Argghhh!

Edited by 4x4Founder

There were another two of these vehicles owned I think by someone in Leeds

One was kept and restoration started on it in North Cambridgeshire in the early 1980's

The chap who was restoring them passed away about 10 years ago

The FWD R6T / AEC 850, as mentioned, now resides at the IWM Land Warfare hall Duxford.

There were rumours of a couple laying in a field "somewhere". The rumours were true, and two rather sad examples were donated to the REME museum, a year or so back, when the owner (details unknown to me), passed away.

It is hoped that one good one can be made from the two, thay are in a v/poor state though.

I understand they are now in the hands of a restorer.

I do have more photographs, ranging from purchased copies from the IWM archives, to photocopies of photos in private collections.

The one at Duxford, I did photograph quite extensively, this enabled me to prepare my own drawings and make the model featured on my website, www.mooresmilitarymodels.co.uk. Thanks for the earlier inclusion by the way.

During a visit, I did incur the wrath of one of the assistant curators at the museum, I crawled underneath to get details of the very complicated suspension layout, obviously contravening every HSE rule, and it was made very plain just what a naughty chap I had been.

Pity, as I was just about to get details of the engine, which appears to sit on a sub-chassis all of its own within the main chassis.

The Duxford example, apart from a flat tyre, has a cracked engine block, the result of frost damage, so its a non-runner.

If anyone needs more info, and if I can help, just email me at george.dfs1@virginmedia.com

One thing I would be interested in, there was an article written about the vehicle in a magazine of the period, 1930's which had drawings of the chassis, now this would be most useful, not sure if it was Commercial Motor, or Automobile Engineer of that era.

George.

E08001301(a).JPG

E080013.JPG

E080013(a).JPG

E08001301.JPG

Not wanting to be outdone by Commercial Motor an article also appears in Motor Transport for August 12, 1929. There're no line drawings, but several photographs accompany the article. And some further photographs appear in later editions.

There are probably also articles in the modern magazines - I haven't checked - but no doubt they would be largely based on the originals!

I recall the 'new' discoveries being advertised in one of the classic truck magazines about 10 years ago. Good to see they are still around.