Ferret in Cirencester Glos

robin craig

Does anyone have any information on the Ferret located in the TA Centre on Somerford Road, Cirencester, Glos.

It is also the home of 1329 (Cirencester) DF Air Training Corps.,

If you are looking for it on google use the ATC name as your search as the TA Yeomanry unit pops up in a location called Highbury house just down the road and is NOT where the Ferret is.

It is visible on Streetscape.

Last I saw of it, likely 1997, it was a shed, in a sad state so I can't believe it has gotten any better. I know Matt will want to know all the details.

R

• 3 years later...
Does anyone have any information on the Ferret located in the TA Centre on Somerford Road, Cirencester, Glos.

It is also the home of 1329 (Cirencester) DF Air Training Corps.,

If you are looking for it on google use the ATC name as your search as the TA Yeomanry unit pops up in a location called Highbury house just down the road and is NOT where the Ferret is.

It is visible on Streetscape.

Last I saw of it, likely 1997, it was a shed, in a sad state so I can't believe it has gotten any better. I know Matt will want to know all the details.

R

Hi Robin

Just to let you know that talks are going on at the moment about the ferret being restored. I will keep you posted.

Hi, here are a couple of photos of Ferret 01DA20, I visited it a couple of months ago in Cirencester and had a chat with a visiting PSI there, he told me that someone was going to look at restoring it. I also had a good look at it, the turret was welded up but you could see in some holes down into it and it looks in a pretty bad state, some relatives of mine who live nearby told me that it is still on its plinth on the front gate, so nothing has been done with it up to now.

Ferret_ciren2.jpg

Ferret_ciren1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ferret is now back on its plinth and has been cosmetically restored , this was the end of January with our local paper reporting it had stood there since 1989 after being presented to the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars Squadron of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry . The work cost almost £4000 and was carried out by Track and Wheel in Buckingham and paid for by the RGH benevolent fund . The Ferret is named Gallipoli in memory of the men of the RGH who fought and died there in WW1, it also carries the markings of 22nd Armoured division of the RGH which fought in the dessert campaign in WW2 .