93EL57 Rover 8FFR Toastie

I got to spend some time with the Toastie I kept today after a brief seperation and so decided to start a thread about her new journey.

Images attached are at the start of her journey and some detailed photos of her as the 'Before' sceanrio.

Chapter One.:-)

First the move, which was done by Farol Transport in Oxfordshire (www.farol.co.uk). Thoroughly professional, friendly and efficient. They were also on time, quick and I think fairly well priced. Wokingham to Oxfordshire via M4 Reading..A Road from High Wycombe to M40 and then up to J7 M40......£300 inc VAT. If you need advice ask for Russell in Transport Dept.

20120301_111739.jpg

20120301_084948.jpg

20120301_092620.jpg

20120301_111652.jpg

20120301_111708.jpg

Wayne on the Series 2 forum they'll go crazy for details of your Serck radiater. There is a thread just on them & people are submitting their serial numbers with date codes of manufacture.

So when are you going start the Pig thread? I know I've got my own pictures but the vegetation prevented any underneath shocks. So do you have early or late brake adjusters, were your Tracta/Chobham joint housing lubricators still in the original position, is your torque reaction bracket still welded to the chassis or had it been modified like most I've seen with 3 long bolts? These are all burning questions:-D

So when are you going start the Pig thread? I know I've got my own pictures but the vegetation prevented any underneath shocks. So do you have early or late brake adjusters, were your Tracta/Chobham joint housing lubricators still in the original position, is your torque reaction bracket still welded to the chassis or had it been modified like most I've seen with 3 long bolts? These are all burning questions:-D

Down boy!

All in good time........... :D

Alec.

BLIMEY!!!!!

My heart is pounding as I write this!!!!

I've been looking for GKL 393N for years!!!

Last heard of painted sunshine yellow at a garage in Constantine, Cornwall, this was my boss's old Land Rover. I worked for him at a riding school in Kent, drove the Land Rover almost every day, fitted a new water pump, took it to the 2nd IMPS Show at Tenterden Railway Stn in 1983 (I seem to remember there were only two Land Rovers there!), went on my first 'date' in it, drove it down the M2 to Canterbury ten minutes after passing my driving test, etc, etc. I remember that the markings were still under the paint -so remove the layers carefully!

I'll dig out some old photos

Incredible..............I always wondered if it survived, especially when I saw the lovely Rover 8 FFR at Beltring last year!

Peter she is still happy and your replies are great. She will breath soon. i am getting excited now about old markings as Deepcut are unlikely to have record due to age so any regiment trace will be valuable. the yellow paint is now showing ibm places where pink flaking. Do you know why she was painted pink

Wayne on the Series 2 forum they'll go crazy for details of your Serck radiater. There is a thread just on them & people are submitting their serial numbers with date codes of manufacture.

All coming mate ran out of time before bed last night......hope my snaps answer the queries

Wayne,

From memory (it was 30 years ago!), there were the signs of markings on both doors, the tailgate (sadly that looks like a different one) - there may have been something on the front wings too.

My photos of 93EL57 at Tenterden (this was the second IMPS show that eventually became War & Peace!) have gone AWOL - if I find them, I'll post them.

I've no idea why it's now pink - I'm assuming it was an early 'restoration' attempt. It was still DBG when my boss sold it to the garage in Cornwall.

I look forward to seeing how the restoration goes - I'd love to see 93EL57 again one day - do you go to W&P?

Peter

Thanks for getting back to me. I will be careful with exposing the layers of paint on the doors......

The rear tailgate is infact a correct military one, but suspect a PO replacement as not 'Pink' ??

The plan when she is ready or even roadworthy as a 'Works in Progress' vehicle is that she will go to shows.

I was talking to friends about W&P only last night and it is an event I wish to grace.

Wether it be the Humber, Toastie or lightweight all depends on many factors.

I am sure at some point you may be reunited.......Best wishes

Of course if you find any more images please place them on here.

Regards

Wayne is your torque reaction bracket still welded to the chassis or had it been modified like most I've seen with 3 long bolts? These are all burning questions:-D

Did you get to answer this from any of the images posted Clive???????????

• 1 month later...

Another spare Dizzy for Toastie, but data plate missing.

Appears unused ?????. Anyway of dating or confirming type from image as bought as a 24v Landrover Dizzy.

Help from Clive needed. :?

I am sure it is early S2/2a vintage.

Dizzy1.jpg

Dizzy4.jpg

Dizzy2.jpg

Dizzy3.jpg

Wayne there were 12 or so variants of DZS4A with different advance curves. In addition some variation in part no depending on length of leads. But one variant had double the gap of the rest! I would work on a best guess basis by comparing the weights & springs with known examples.

Wayne there were 12 or so variants of DZS4A with different advance curves. In addition some variation in part no depending on length of leads. But one variant had double the gap of the rest! I would work on a best guess basis by comparing the weights & springs with known examples.

yes of course I will compare components

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...