IMPS Frostbite Run

• 2 weeks later...

Good weather would certainly be appreciated - we're taking the Spartan and my WLF (with freshly-laminated HMVF windscreen badge) and I'd like to go top-down if possible.

It'll be by far the longest road run for the Spartan in our ownership and I fully anticipate having to tow it home!

Do come over and say hi.

Mike,

I'll pop over and see you. I know exactly who your are (plus the bright orange paintwork on the inside of the WLF cab gives it away!) We camp next to you at Bethune.

I'm meeting Paul McDonald in his dodge and Richard in his Jimmy on the outskirts of East Grinstead and then we're heading on up to Westerham.

I think the weather is going to be wet now so we'll all have to have screens up and roofs on! :cry: Always worth it for the good food at the finish though.

See you Sunday.

Nick

Well that was an eventful day!

We left the farm at 09:00 with a Halftrack leading, followed by the CVRT Spartan followed by the WLF. About 3 miles into our 40-mile round trip, in the centre of Purley Cross, there was a loud clattering, then a bang followed by a cloud of steam from the Spartan and it coasted to the side of the road. Lifting the engine hatches revealed steam pumping horizontally from below the exhaust manifold so I have to presume it was the head gasket blowing. 2 local cops in a hatchback pulled up and made a smart-arse comment about ‘offering us a hand’. We pulled the final drive quail shafts, hooked on the ‘A’-frame (Hollebone) and towed it back to the farm with the WLF.

The driver and passenger jumped into the Halftrack and we drove down to the Grasshopper pub in Westerham. We had a very pleasant bimble down to the Plough in Hildenborough where we had our carvery lunch. On the way back along the A25, the WLF began to stutter and lose power, eventually dying completely. I used the airline to blow a ton of rust out of the electric fuel pump but there’s still a blockage somewhere that’s stopping it from lifting fuel. After half an hour investigating it was beginning to get dark so I rigged up a jerry-can and gravity-fed straight into the final filter in the system. The truck ran beautifully all the way home.

So now we’re looking at building up and fitting another engine for the Spartan and me doing a strip-down of my fuel system.

Photos to follow.

Hey Nick I hope Paul's white paint does not was off :-D

Paul didn't bother with the white wash in the end - no point really as it was really mild!

Our little mishap of the day was also on the way to the meeting point. Paul was leading and I was following in the dodge with Richard in his jimmy behind. Just before we got to the Grasshopper my Dodge managed to pick up a stone and send it through the passenger windscreen of Richard's Jimmy! Looked like he'd been shot at!!!!

We did the quiz on the way to Hildenborough. A nice little run around the (sometimes very) narrow lanes. It was great and the food as per usual fantastic......... and we managed to get home before the heavens opened!

A photo at the Grasshopper before the battery ran out and before Tootallmike turned up with the heavy gear!

[attachment deleted by admin]

nice one , on a red route , can i e mail this poto to TFL , just in case thay missed it :evil:

hope you got home ok

steve

We're surrounded by Red Routes so it's almost inevitable, but it's alright, the hazard lights were on, so that means you're exempt from all road rules and parking regs. That's what the school mums do so it must be true...

WLF problem seems to have been fuel starvation caused by a clogged up gauze in the water separator. Spartan engine diagnosis will have to wait another couple of weeks. There's another engine lined up for it if it passes a compression test.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't quite the 1st outing, but it would have been by far the most adventurous had it not embarrassed itself. I guess we probably put about 40 miles on this engine, most of it bimbling around show sites, but also 3 'H' tests, a trip around the Isle of Wight and a couple of short runs out.

This is already the 5th engine this vehicle has had in our ownership as we used it as a testbed for engines for other CVRTs. All the ex-mil cast-off engines are relatively unknown quantities so whatever we get out of them is appreciated. We've got engine removal down to 45mins now having done about 10 of them!

This was going to be the replacement engine but it's seized. There's diesel down the bores now but I doubt it's a goer.

[attachment deleted by admin]