help 24 volt lighting kit

David Ives

Question

ok i bought a set of tent lighting kit marked c14225 which has 10 lamps and lots of connectors and cables which are 3 pin

does anyone know how to connect these to a 24 volt circuit off a truck so i can use them in the cookhouse please

i know probably something simple but i tried cconnecting 1 direct to a battery with the bown wire to the live and the blue to the negative but didnt know where to connect the green wire to and couldnt get a light out of it also replaced bulb with working 24 penthouse bulb

normal penthouse lights are 2 pin so easy

please help a confused person

13 answers to this question

MOD have an interesting habit of connecting three wires to a three-pin plug even when only two pins are used, so don't assume that you actually need to connect all three wires. If you haven't got a multimeter handy, try various combinations and something should work eventually.

Andy

David I assume what you have is Kits, lighting, penthouse, 24V, portable?

I have the Technical Handbook in EMER POWER F 230/2 unfortunately there is no circuit diagram or answer to your query. But very often the -ve & +ve lines are floating with respect to earth & the third cable is earth. In the case of the fluorescent type the earth is also connected through the screening braid for RF suppression.

Hi David, get some pics of the light units and the plugs / sockets up on here, might be able to work it out by the pics.

Are they originally 12v ? if so just changing the bulbs will be ok. However strange to have a green wire !!! might be a switch wire !!!

Anyway lets have some pics

So the 10 long tube things are 24v fluorescent strip lights then ?

Do the fittings have switches on themselves ?

What are the white or grey square boxes do they have switches on them ?

Do all the plugs and sockets on all the bits and pieces have 3 pins on them ?

So the 10 long tube things are 24v fluorescent strip lights then ? yes same tube as penthouse lights

Do the fittings have switches on themselves ? no that i can see

What are the white or grey square boxes do they have switches on them ? no just 3 way conecting boxes

Do all the plugs and sockets on all the bits and pieces have 3 pins on them ?

yes but have male and female ends each cable

ok got the set here and started trying all diffrent combinations of wires and still nothing but bulbs work in a penthouse light which is the same tube

have traced the manufacures to surrey and suppliers to abtus ltd haverhill so next question is to them if they have a workshop/operating manual for the bl***Y things

:nut:there are no switches that i can find on them so having a guess they are on all the time

1 thing i did find was plugs are marked as bl plugs which is why strange fittings